• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kennel Floor

Mike Walerak

I have a chain link kennel connected to my shed and want to put some sort of floor in it to keep the dog from getting so muddy. I can't afford to pour concrete and want it to be some what temporary. I was thinking just laying plywood down and replacing it every year or so.

I plan to sell my house in a year or two, so I really don't want to do anything permanent.

mw

Try patio stones or pavers... they work great and you can move them to your next house. Also in the past in my college years, I used class-5 gravel and packed it down real hard w a plate tamper... worked real well. No mud, easy to clean up and that too would be easy to remove.

You'd be surprised when you go to sell your house how many people will want you to leave the kennel in tact. My last house I had 4 kennel runs and they wanted me to leave them all... They had 1 lab who lived in the house most of the time. confused.gif I ended up leaving one run and house, and my old neighbors said they seen the dog in the run only a handful of times...

Good Luck!

Ken

I used the 12" square cement patio tiles. Put a little sand down to get a level surface and compact it a little. It worked well for me and it is easy to move when needed. That way it is still concrete so they keep their toe nails worn down. I cant remember what it costed, but it was cheaper than pouring one.

LOL I see someone types faster than me. grin.gif

Hey Mike!

I put some cement squares down. It works great. I also have a buddy that put plywood down and that worked for him. Either way you'll be fine. We need to get "cloey?" and Marli together again. Maybe hunt some ducks next fall!

I too went down the paver road... I used 18" x 18" squares (took less time & less alignment problems) and it worked great... I put gravel and sand down and it's really held up well. Now, if I could just keep the dog from chewing on the shed I'd be in good shape...

marine_man

I went with treated plywood, and 2x4 green treated beneath. Going on 8 years now, and still in pretty good shape. Previously I used the Class 5, and that was OK also, except the old dog was an escape artist, so I had to bury mesh beneath to keep him from tunneling out.

We went to Fleet Farm and got a cow mat in the farm equipment section. It is basically a black rubber mat that you can cut down if needed. It is a little more comfortable for the dog and you can spray it off when necessary. It may not work for a dog that is a chewer though.