• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hooks

gunflint

Question

I gotta do something while I wait for spring. I want to put new treble hooks on my top producing crankbaits. And I might as well start putting rigs together. I would like some input on namebrand hooks. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

I think as far as hooks go, you have to look at quality and price... I am not totally sure on what your question is.. There are a lot of quality hooks on the market out there and what works best for one person is not always what works best for another.. It really depends on a persons fishign style... Gamakatsu, Mustad, VMC and Owner all make great hooks and depending on application I may have a few from each company... IE, for lindy rigs I like to use the Gammie octupus hooks, but for woming for bass I like the Mustad UltraPoint.. for scum frogs I replace all the hooks to Woner double hook, and I really like the VMC Vanadium treble hooks.

wow dietz is right! brands of hooks is like every one comparing brands of cars ! you have to decide for your self. yes it can be a chore, but fun to try different brands and styles to find the ones that you feel are the best for you.i prefer a gamagatsu (sp) for my plastics and on jigs for bass. i take the cheaper route and use mustads for my cranks and other lures. my advice is to buy a few small pks of different types and styles and sizes to find what you like. you will find most fisherman are always experimenting . it's half the fun! grin.gif

On my Smithwick rouges, there are some black offset hooks that are awesome. I haven't been able to find those hooks in bulk but when I do, I will change all of my lures to those. By offset, I mean the hook point doesn't point back at the main hook, it curves out to the side about 5-10 degrees. these babies are sharp, in fact when ever it touchs anything, it usually sticks it self, like the flooring, your shirt, your buddies hat, etc........If you can find those, I would use those bad boys. And if you find them, help a guy out and let me know where you found them

Deitz,

Thats what I was thinking for picks. I was at Gander in Duluth last Friday and could'nt find them. Thats one of the reasons I posted the question. They will probably have them at the new super store when it opens. But I don't want to wait.

I should have asked in my original post about hook color also. I personaly don't think color matters but I could be wrong. Anyone have experience one way or the other with colored hooks?