• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

blugills

bear hunter

I have been finding them on the deep weed edge, which happens to be 16/17 feet of water on my particular lake. In the winter, the Gill bite is usually not as fast and furious as it can be in the summer. Use your Vex or Marcum, when fish come in, lower your jig in front of their face. Sometimes it helps to jiggle it a little, sometimed this spookes them off. Try different things (baits, colors, etc.) till you find something they'll eat. Also, something I have noted, I catch 2-3 times more fish on my rod/reel combo that is rigged up with 4 Lb. Mono than I do with my other rod rigged up with Fireline. I never would have believed these fish, that seem to devour anything/everything in the warm water months, could be finicky to line type in the cold water, but they sure seem to be. Even if all you have is fireline, use a mono leader. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck!

I haven't targeted bluegills in deeper than about 18 feet this winter. Like rodbuilder said, a good majority of your gills will relate to somewhat shallower water. 12-14 feet has been key for me lately. Scattered pockets amongst a large flat seem to be the best spots. Scarce weeds are nice too. My most productive spot this winter has been a larger depression in about 12 feet of water where there is a thick coat of weeds on the bottom foot. Those gills like to cruise the basin of the depression and they swim in schools. A lot of lakes have these areas its just a matter of finding them. Small depth changes of only a foot or two can mean more fish. Bottom make-up can change rapidly.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

rodbuilder, I was abit curious about the fireline and what you mentioned. I have one of my ultra lights with mono and the other fireline, then after putting it on, I was thinking of adding a mono leader. think I'll take your advice, if I ever find them dang gills in the lake I've been fishing.

Matt, I've been trying to find these areas since my last post. seems I got lucky last year and must have been on one of these prime spots, which was also on a large deep flat, (22') I was catching alot of very nice sized sunnies/gills, and a few crappies around dark. I took your advice and went shallow. over the last couple days, I tryed alot of various depths, but got nothing but pseky perch. I dont know where and the heck these fish are hanging out, but I'm thinking when I was catching them deep last year it was around mid feb through march, so maybe they get more agressive then, but why they were so deep I just dont know, and weather they will be again this year, who knows.

Think I'll just stick to my jumbo perch and wally lake for awhile until mid Feb. then go back and try it again.

There are other lakes that I know are haveing more panfish action, but this like I cant find them on has been a ver BIG obsession, because I know they are out there somewhere. Theres on part of the lake that nobody ever seems to fish, last year someone told me it could be dangerous because of a spring, who knows, maybe thats where their hanging out.

frustrated

Dano2,

Keep in mind that every body of water is different and it can vary from lake to lake. The gills might not be as shallow in the lake you're fishing and you might have to venture out deeper. I've done really well on gills in 20-30 feet of water in past years, but that hasn't been the case so far this winter for the lakes I've been hitting. If you're catching nice gills in 22 feet then I would stick with it.

The biggest thing I've noticed by going deeper for gills is that they tend to be smaller fish in deeper water. A lot more numbers, but smaller fish. The pods that roam the shallower depths tend to be bigger than those cruising the deeper holes and such mixed in with the crappies. You have to weigh your options, consistent fishing with a few decent fish mixed in, or less bites/less fish but bigger fish.

I've got the mind frame that I have no problem spending all day to catch a half-dozen nice pannies, rather then have non-stop action all day with smaller fish. Thats just me though, and some people prefer quantity. There is nothing wrong by going either way.

There has been several days when I get ridiculed by my fishing partners because they come back with a limit of 9-10 inch crappies and I'm empty handed because I was out looking for the piggies. Thats going to happen, and sometimes it will happen quite often depending on the area you are fishing.

I like to search out new water on lakes I'm already familar with. Even though I know of some spots that are producing, I'll still try and find some new and hopefully better spots. I always have this thought in the back of my head that there are bigger fish somewhere else in the lake, and there usually are, its just a matter of patterning them and locating them.

There are a lot of days where I spend more time punching holes and covering area then I do catching fish. But you never know when that day will come when you stumble onto that slab crappie or bull gill, and it's always worth it.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Thanks. Thats probably what I will do. I am probably going to steer clear of it for awhile, and fish a different lake, but go back and start the search again, and where I was catching them last season, around that 22' range.

when you mention quality to quantity, I agree, and thats the way I am too. Thats probably one of the main reasons I keep after it, is because these sunnies are of very nice quality, their nice sized and thick. whats funny is I have either caught these bigger ones, or none at all, I haven't seemd to ever gotten into a bunch of smaler ones like you see on alot of other lakes, where you have the numbers and basically have to weed through them, although, I may go to one of these others as well, just for that purpose to get the 4 year old out for the first time, I've been meaning to get him out, and feal guilty I haven't yet, but will for sure, and just for the action, I wanted to get him on the big ones, but I think its just been more of my own obsession, he wont care either way, small or big, the action is what he will enjoy. I have a gps this year, so if I can find that hoey hole again, atleast I'll have something more to go by next year, but I'm thinking the time of year is makeing a difference as well.

what do you think?

thanks

This time of year is usually a tough time for consistant big pannie action. You will come across some bites that last for a short period (a day or two) of time and then the pod moves on, but it generally tends to be the time of year where you spend a lot of time searching for a few fish. I like to hit the mainlake basins for crappies right now. They will cruise the deeper areas and relate somewhat (both on and adjacent) to mainlake structure. The honey holes are still getting pounded by anglers and they will continue to see pressure all winter. If you see a person fishing out in the middle of nowwhere out on a lake that could be me smile.gif I usually stay well away from crowds and chase those roaming deep water crappies when I'm in search of panfish this time of year. Late ice is when the panfish activity sky rockets again and you can get into both quantity and quality at the same time.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

To add something here too, Matt stated in another unrelated post that this year has not been the typical one. I would ditto that and add that simply because one spot gave up fish a year or two ago, you should not assume it to be productive ever year. Even small, enclosed systems can change from year to year, even though nothing has been noted on top for change. An emergent weedbed that has moved out in the water four more feet can really do a lot to screw up the fishing in that area. You may not be aware that weeds had encroached on deeper water, but those fish might not find favor in it.

That doesn't surprise me either. My fiancee and I are part of the family cabins on a lake about a mile off Mille Lacs. The lake was hammered five or so years ago for it's crappies(after the public access was put in) frown.gif I heard stories from the "old timer" neighbor and from her grandfather about huge sunnies in the lake. Now, the only sunnies her brothers and I could gather up were all 5-6 inchers. So, one day I took the stories and put them to life. I couldn't believe it, but I can now pull up slab sunnies(I've got some 10 inchers, they tell stories of 11+ inchers) from 29 ft. of water...during open water!!! They bite on the smallest leeches you can buy and a small jig or bare hook...nothing else! I'm going up to the cabins in a week or two to try it out on the ice.

This sounded crazy to me and I did fail at it my first two times, but then I was rewarded nicely. Just when we think we've got them figured out...guess will have to wait and see what these underwater cameras teach us. I bet they'll change fishing quite a bit.

Never be afraid to try something different.

My best success this winter has been in 6 feet of water in a large shallow bay. I have been catching nice sunnies and crappies all winter at that depth. In the same lake, most fishermen are getting the crappies in 30+ feet of water.

I have been sight fishing them, lots of fun.

Hey guys,

I noticed a lot of FM Pro Staff and guides have posted replies on this thread so I figured I'd post here with the hopes of getting some expert advice.

I love to ice fish, but I can only get out about once every two weeks. When I do get out, it's usually with my father-in-law or friends that get out even less than I do. Because I have most of the equipment (i.e. portable, auger, Marcum, etc.) they assume I know what I'm doing.

I understand, in theory, when and where to fish and what baits to use. The problem is that knowing what to do in theory doesn't necessarily mean you'll find or catch more fish when out on the lake.

For example, we fished Blue Lake in Princeton yesterday from about 7 AM to 1 PM. We have a camper on the lake so I'm pretty familiar with the structure and where to find fish in the summer. I've never ice fished the lake until yesterday so we fished some of our summer hot spots, but caught nothing. Taking advice from numerous posts I've ready on the site, we stayed away from the crowds. The two best points on the lake are right across from each other and there were 40+ perms set up in that area. We decided instead to set up next to a 30' hole that has a 10' island right next to it. I got my buddies set up and then ventured out with a bottle of water and the Marcum to look for fish. I searched all around the hump and at various depths on the drop off and couldn't mark anything. Part of the problem could have been that I just got the Marcum LX3 and am still learning how to read it. Still, on a smaller lake that doesn't have a lot of structure, I figured I'd be able to mark some fish in this spot.

I know this is a pretty vague question, but how should I break down a lake to ice fish it? Blue Lake has a good bass and panfish population so I know the fish are there. The perm villages are set up in the prime spots so do I sell out and fish there?

I'm also curious to know how more experienced ice fisherman isolate such subtle features as weed pockets, bottom transitions, and other features that don't show up on maps? Is it a matter getting good at reading the flasher? Do you just stumble on these hot spots or do you specifically target them? If you target them then how do you know that a small weedy depression, for instance, is isolated and not part of a larger weed bed? Do you Vex the entire area to see where this feature starts and stops?

I always try to stay mobile and I probably drilled about 30 holes yestderday. Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice to save me from looking like a moron when I organize ice fishing outings. I don't think I can take the line "Man, that $400 Marcum sure doesnt't help you catch fish." from my wife much longer.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. Sorry for rambling on.

John

I know that Rogers is a bit of a hike, but on Feb.7 at 7PM , Matt Johnson will be serving up a seminar at the Lakeville Gander Mountain. Some of his tactics will be discussed there. And trust me....he has some very nice graphics to help everyone understand what he so wonderfully explains.

Another example of prime-time know-how can be found at the Gander in Forest Lake when Deitz Deitrich gives his seminar in February. Again, a bit of a drive, but worth the time! Check the date for this event at the top of the threads in the ice fishing forum.

Both of these fellas are skilled to the max in winter fishing and definately would be something, event-wise, to put on the calendar.