• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which sled?

Granny

I am heading out on a fishing trip and I am going to use my brother-in-laws sled. Now I am pretty much a sled rookie. He has two sleds, one is a 04 Polaris 400 or 440 and the other is a fairly new Yamaha 600-700. Do I need the 6-700 for pulling a portable a couple miles across the lake or will the 4-440 be ok? Would the 6-700 be better if I run into slush?

Thanks in advance,

Granny

Personally I would go 440. I have a 440 for fishing, and it's great pulling my Otter Lodge everywhere I want to go, has done it for several years. My friends also have Polaris 440s and no complaints. All around perfect sled, IMO.

I also have a 800 and no way will that work for fishing. The powerband is incredible at 5700-6K RPMs (20-30 mph). I would say a 600-700 would be overkill.

I use my 600 for ice fishing and pulling my portable. Is it overkill? Probably.

I would probably go with the 440. You said you are not a very experienced snowmobiler so the 440 will be a little easier to start, a tad lighter, and won't get you into as much trouble (speed) as a bigger motor.

Plus I wouldn't be caught dead on a Yamaha. grin.gif I'd go with the Polaris.

Thanks for the info!

I was thinking that the Polaris should be fine but I wasn't sure with the portable.

Hanson,

Its the sled I am going to be using for the Bash. Getting pretty pumped for it now!!

Later,

Granny

Hey Hoss,

You gonna have a sled up to B-side now?? Kewl!!!!!! smile.gif

I would go with the 440 too, it will pull the portable no problem. Mines only a polaris 500 trail and it pulls the loaded Otter just fine. Just make sure that there is a solid hitch on the sled if using an otter-type sled to haul your potable out in, and carry a spare pin just in case (experience talking here).

PSS: Ditto what hanson said wink.gif

Xplorer,

I was just going to email you and let ya know.

I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but I am going to take my brother-in-laws sled up there. I just need to put tabs on it for them. I have a hitch for my Polar Sport but I haven't put it on yet. What kind of a pin do they have or do you have to put on your own? I haven't even taken it out of the box yet.

Later,

Granny

I should probably post tips for 1st timers pulling a portable but I ran into a few things this winter that shouldn't have happened to me but did.

1- Do not use a rope to pull the portable, rigid hitch all the way.

2- My Otter has 2 big pins that connect the hitch to the sled. Well, I was pulling the portable and looked back and noticed one of the pins was gone and I was only pulling the portable by 1/2 of the drawbar. Guess what, the other pin got bent so bad I needed a sawzall to cut it out. I haven't ordered up my extra set of pins yet but I would always advise carrying a spare set now.

3- Travel cover is almost a necessity.

4- If you don't want your stuff broken, make sure it doesn't move around. Tie it down however you can.

See you at B-side Granny. Can't miss me. Bright green Arctic Cat.

As mentioned above, I have a Polar Sport Nordic. There is an auger rack attached to the seat brackets. Will the travel cover hold the auger down tight enough to should I tie the auger to the brackets?

Hanson, see ya up there. I will be the guy sitting on the Polaris while the wife is drilling the holes and setting up the house. grin.gif

I thought for sure she was going to win the Bash last year because a female had won all the previous contest that year. Well we didn't catch a fish.

Later,

Granny

Granny,

Mine is like Hanson's, 2 pins attach the hitch to the ottersled. Then you will need another pin to attach the PolarSport rigidhitch, to the hitch on the sled. This is the hitch i was talking about above. I'd ask him if it has a hitch already, if not their easy to install (think mine was about $30)

You can get extra pins at L&M.