• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

a new plastic for crappies

CrappieJohn

I was looking thru the fishing magazines some time agao and tripped over an article about the various plastics used for crappies and panfish. In perhaps four pages I saw a handful of readily known plastics, but a few were on the " now what is this" list. One in particular really sat me up....it's called a WedgeTail Minnow and is made by Stanley. While the maker has been around for forever doing bass jigs and some bass plasics, I didn't realize that they were doing crappie toys. After checking in Gander, Fleet Farm, and Cabela's to no avail for these critters , I got Stanley's phone number and ordered up a catalog. When it arrived I got right into it, got even more curious about these little minnow-shaped plastics and ordered some up. They came today.

I guess what opened my eyes a bit was the description of the tail. Not quite a true forked tail and not at all a paddle tail, the tails are interesting to say the least. They seem to be a split tail, but not one that tapers into a thin whippy pair of points. The tail itself is much broader from side to side.....I mean broad, as in thicker. But where the body slims down to create the tail, it is very narrow. An unusual concet, but one I think will be a real water pounder.

I ordered a half dozen different colors, which are proven, in three sizes....1.5", 2" for the crappies, and 3.5" for the waldos. While the 3.5 will likely be the first to get the go in open water (hopefully soon), I think that the 1.5"ers may be something to look at even under the ice...especially if a solid bite gets started and the crappies are aggressive.

I have several thin-tailed minnow plastic up to 2" in my arsenal and much of that is the PowerBait minnow. I have some other similar products , but the names slip my mind right now. All of these have found their place at certain times. What I do not have is anything with a tail of this nature. Paddle and the thumper tails as found on the pogo shad bodies don't even compare. I just have a feeling that these little guys are going to do well when cast and retrieved on a free line and jighead. And I think that the slightly oversized tail will slow the drop enough to have the head slightly down making it a dandy presentation. Time will tell.

Ley us know how they work Tom. I'm a stickler for new products. I, like yourself, am always searching for something new that helps me catch fish. This winter I have tried the Lindy plastics in various shapes, colors and sizes and so far am pretty impressed. Although there have been times when the fish have still preferred live bait, it was still nice to get some fish on plastics. Some plastic baits have a realistic action that sometimes you can't match with live bait hanging on your hook. I think it pays to have a little of everything in your arsenal. I hope to hear your report on these baits soon. Go get em' Tom!!!

Corey Bechtold

Corey...I too have been toying with the Lindy plastics a bit this winterand have has fair luck. The split tailed minnow and the whip like plastics are my best producers. I tried the flat tailed number with no luck, but when I switched to the split I caught fish. Everything done the same, one worked, the other didn't....go figure. Profile I'm sure. If I'd have snapped off that little paddle tail I think I'd have gotten fish. I was doing sunfish and you know how nit-picky they can be. But hey, anytime you can take sunnies on plastic under the ice, the trdae-off is worth it.

I'm into some projects now, not much of a week-end fisherman anyways and besides that, it's to cold to really enjoy the type of fishing I like to do, which is out in the open, hole jumping.

BUT, when I do get out again, which will probably be Monday for trout and Wed. for pannies, I'am going to give the plastics a decent try! You guys have convinced me that given the right situation, they will work under the ice.

I've messed with something I heard a few years ago, cutting the wigglies off of a large white plastic tube and then attaching them to a panfish jig.

At times when the fish hugged the bottom and would'nt bite, I could bring them up to investigate the plastic, moreso then any other baits I was using, but still, they would'nt hit.

I did think that it had potential and I'm going to get some plastics and give them a shot. If I could get them to work for me as they apparently work for you guys, I would'nt have to fool around with the live bait so much.

Grebe.... The tube tentacle thing is an oldie, but goodie. The flat twister tail from a 2" grub can be trimmed with a razor blade to make a longet flat tapering tail that comes to a point too. 3/8 to 5/8 inch long and no more than 1/8 at the wide end. These take a bit more snap, but when the fish are working well you can eliminate bait using these. Flick tails are another good one if you can find them.

Ok. I gotta have some.

How do you go about ordering from this company?

I searched but cannot find any place to order.

I've had great success last year with a Fish-N-Spin lure.

I'd like to use one of the Stanley jig bodies on the FishNspin spinners. I "think" the stamped blade on the fishnspin is what makes that lure.(?)

If anyone can find out where to order please share. smile.gif

Oh. P.S. Black/Chart was my "hot" color.

Done & done.

Thanks.

Anyone else ever tried the fish-n-spin?

Crappie love 'em, bigger bluegills will take them.... but I've caught more crappie. I use the small 1/32oz(?) version, with a black head/chart tail. I know I should use more of the other colors I have, but the confidence factor is high with black/chart smile.gif

Either way, I'd recommend everyone try one or two. They work & they are a nice small company to deal with. (p.s no I dont work there :P)

Back on topic. I can't wait & try these Stanleys when all this ice melts.....