• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Also looking for a male

Bryce

Now that everyone's undies are good and bunched up and this is getting some looks, thought I'd also look for male. I have a young chocolate that we will start breeding in 3 years or so if all goes well with her training and health checks. Candidate must be chocolate or strongly chocolate factored black, hips and eyes must be certified (prefer hips to be excellent), dog must have attained either QAA or MH title(or have intentions of attempting this feat since this dog may also be a pup). There may be only a few people on this site that a have a dog or know someone that has a dog of this quality but looks like this is the time to post it up. Like I say, this is still several years in the future but if you can match the list above it will then be time to look at pedigrees and see if we can pair up a good breeding. Location is not a factor. Fully understand that female may have to travel by air to breed.

The Captains Kennels up near Virginia has a male that might meet your requirements, by the name of what else, Captain. We got a chocolate female pup, sired by him,from them last spring and are very happy with her. Just do a search for The Captains Kennels.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

Just seeing what's out there Labs. You know I'll probably look at a couple dozen dogs before I make a final decision. Not expecting to find much here other than the big kennel studs that I already know about.

Larry, what are your intentions with the pup? Gonna play the dog games with her or a hunting pet? Keep us informed how she's doing if you go the games route. Always nice to know what these studs are throwing out for talent.

Bryce

No bird hunting, I gave that up a few years ago, and also no games. We just decided that with this pup we would get a good quality bred puppy. The last pup we got from a backyard breeder and we learned that it is pay now or pay later. We went through surgery for OCD and some other expenses. This gal is just a pet and companion but came with all the guarantees. With her good background and the fine work of the breeder hopefully we will not have the same type of problems.

But I do know that her sire has thrown some pups that have been very sucessful in trials. Thanks for asking.

I have been sitting here taking in all these comments about"backyard breeders" and I'm at the point where I need to say something, good or bad here it is.

I believe the the term "backyard breeder" is a misnomer. The responsibility of what you, the buyer, ends up with lies entirely on your shoulders. Do some research, look at what both the stud & dam have for health certificates. If both have ofa cert. hips and the eyes have the cerfs. then look at the pedigree. If the next 1-2 generations are good then there is NO difference where you buy the puppy from. If you buy a puppy from Mary Howley at candlewood kennels or from me this summer the chance is there, believe it or not that you might end up with a puppy that has bad hips or his eyes might have folds in them.

In the end you as a buyer are in control of what you can end up with. Buying a puppy is a dump shoot no matter how you look at it. I bought 4 puppies this summer, 2 sets of brothers from 2 different litters. In the end 1 puppy from each litter went back to the seller, one with folds and the other with a screwed up back leg. The pedigrees 4 generations back were clean but the chance is always there that something like this can happen.

In the end making sure that you have guarantees from the breeder is very important.