• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rawhides or real bones?

FISHER ED

What is everyones opinion of chew bones for their dogs? I have a lab that loves to chew on anything I let him. I like the rawhides because they aren't rock hard on his teeth but I don't know about the chemicals that might be used in making them. With that said, I like a good uncooked beef marrow bone because it's natural but is the hardness bad on my little guys teeth? He has no problem cracking them apart in no time flat.

What do you think, hide or bone?

Ed

Bone!! I do not like raw hides. If I do give a hide as soon as she tears it apart I take it away. I will not let her eat any of it. I like the knuckle bones but I will boil it for awhile. If I don't boil it she will become very loose.

You can also try Roarhides. They are rawhide "granules" that are compressed into a bone shape. The dog can't pull off long strips which is what causes problems. Good for the teeth and will pass through the dog with no problems. They are available at most major pet food stores and at many Vets.

I no longer give my dog rawhides for the simple reason you are never 100% sure they will pass.

I now buy marrow bones from Cub, in the meat section they are cheaper and last longer.

They have not caused any harm to her teeth.

Amanda

I don't give my dogs rawhides anymore - those things swell up when they get wet and soggy from being chewed on and once they are in the dogs stomach they swell up even more and you just can't ever be sure that the dog will be able to digest it or that it won't cause some other problem. I also had a vet. tell me that one time too.

I don't really give the dogs any other kinds of bones - but I have been trying out these new Busy Bone chews for dogs. The dog seems to like them and they do an okay job.

I just know that poultry bones are very bad for dogs because the bones can splinter and rupture passageways along the digestive system.