• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

17 hmr of 17hm2

TV BOY

A friend of mine has the .17 hmr and the Sweet 17 scope on it. Personal opinion, go with the .17 HMR and not the Mach 2. So far at the range, the gun is extremelly accurate. The scope is fixed and has very little magnification, but it is a nice clear scope. He does wish he got a different scope though. I cannot remember the brand he has, but it has the synthetic stock, nickel barrel, also the heavy barrel. We are still trying to get a coyote with it to see how it is going to work. Very nice gun for the money.

The 17 mach II was designed to produce a cheaper gun, and cheaper ammunition, in a 17 grain bullet. So far, this has panned out to be true. But the mach II does not perform as well as the HMR, in terms of velocity, or grouping. They both make the .22LR look silly though...........

I bought a Savage .17HMR last spring. I love it. I mounted a BSA 6-24x50 scope on it and took it out to SD for some Prairie dog shooting in May. The gun shot very well and seeing them in a 50MM diameter lens was really cool because the gun doesn't jump so you can watch your shot hit the target. The ammo is cheap. I shot 500 rds. of it in SD. The only negative I have about that small caliber is the wind drift. A 10 MPH wind would easily drift the bullet 6" at 100 yards =/-. I shot several dogs out to 200 yards, but not consistently. It was lethal at 100 yards though! Some people claim it is a good gun for yotes, but I personally prefer a little larger bullet for that.

I own a 17 Mach 2 and love it. I haven't shot it a lot because of the inclimate weather, but early indications show it is a shooter. The first group was under an inch at 80 yards. I thought that was good even though the trigger on that Marlin is poor. Kind of neat caliber, anyway you look at it.

Right now I have a Ruger 77/22 Which is their bolt action .22WMR I then purchased a Green Mountain .17HMR barrel for it.......Nice now I have both calibers.

Right now I am looking at a 10/22 and then getting either a Magnum Research or Eabco Barrel assembly (they both have bolt attachments to allow for it) so I can use .17 Mach 2's in it.