• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer for 4 Wheeler

Trytti

I recently purchased a Sportsman 400 4x4 and I am looking for a 4x8 or 5x8 trailer for it. Anyone got any good leads?

I prefer that it have 14" tires because I do travel quite a bit and it will see a lot of highway miles.

Thanks.

Take a look at Fleetfarm or Tractor Supply, they have trailers that are lite but strong with a drop end gate on them, Frederiksons at Lecenter will build you any size trailer you want at a reasonal price.

I wouldn't recomend the cheapest thing that you find. My older brother made that mistake. The trailer wiring was stapled into the wood floor on the under side and when it gets whet the staples fall out.

Watch the axle payload rating also. His is only 1500lbs. Add approx. 300lb for trailer frame if steel and wood, 600-700lb atv, bigfoot tire kit, a winch, slush and snow from icefishing and that axle is pretty close to it's limit. Not to mention if you wanted to throw a portable shack or larger propane tank in with it.

I'd recommend a 3500lb axle. A little more cost, but you usually get larger tires and 5 bolt lugs instead of some that have 4.

J.T.

I just bought one a little bigger 7 X 8. After talking to alot of people about it most everyone recommended an aluminum because of rust. I already own one of the trailers from northern but wouldn't use it because I just didn't trust it and after 5 years it's pretty rusty. Mine cost me $875 and it will hold 2 wheelers or 1 wheeler and my otter. You can load from the back or the sides. Well worth the xtra couple hundred bucks and I can tell it will last longer. Better axles tires and higher GVWR.

If a guy wasn't deadset of on a 4x8 one place I would really recomend going to a 2 spot aluminum sled trailer just because of the added versatility. I've got a steel 2 spot trailer that wasn't maintained very tell paint wise before I got it but for what I've paid I have my use out of it and its still good for quite awhile to come,my next one will be aluminum though. The other thing about steel trailers is if you wash them after long trips or periodicaly they will last alot longer, also spraying them down with rubberized undercoating

upon purchase would probable extend the life dramatically.