• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1987 Indy 400

river-rat4

Is there any pro's/con's for this model sled. I'm looking at purchasing one for a tug sled for my otter. I have looked at and inquired about other sleds, but this one is my neighbors and REEEEL close. Any advise would be great.

Thanx- RR4

Not the most comfortable riding sled, but would word just fine for pulling the house, even a little trail riding. Athough if your tall watch those knees you'll bang them into the handle bars. Been working on one and been still for a while and runs mint cool.gif

Hey Sledhead-

Thank you for the reply. It has a non-studded track that looks to have a good couple of years left on it. Would you stud it? I live on a small lake and would use it primarily for ice fishing, but the trail system does run by my place. I might hop on once in a while. Runs great, idles nice, any warnings about these sleds as far as tendancies to blow engines/head gaskets other problems and such?

This warm weather really make one wonder if we are going to get snow this winter. Thankfully we've got ice!

I have a 91 indy 400, and I think it's a perfect starter sled, with good power, they are a good solid machines, parts seem to be easy to get, and it won't probably need much for them anyways. I have my track studded and it is thee perfect thing for ice fishing. My only suggestion it to make sure you have the back of the sled as high up as possible, if you end up buying this sled I can explain this to you better, it made all the difference in the world to me.

mnrstrider-

I pretty much have deceided on the sled, just wanted some feedback from you knowledgeable people here. He told me that he replaced a spring in the rear suspension. It appears to have a good looking stance. Is that what you were talking about?

Not really there is a bolt that basically holds the suspension in place, and there is two places you can put that bolt, one it right on top of the rails you put your feet on the other is just below that rail, which effectively puts a bit more weight on your front skies, and it turns and feels much, much better IMO. I think they have an actualy name for it something like high snow setting or something, I can't quite remember, I just bought my sled almost a year ago, so I'm not so up on the terms they used to use.

river-rat4

That sled should work out for you great. Like sledhead said, not the most comfortable sled in the world but if you are on a lake, do you really need much suspension travel?

I had a 89 Indy 500 Classic for many years. Its pretty much the same sled as the 400 you are looking at. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another sled from that vintage because I got pretty good at working on that one and knew it inside & out.

With any older sled, a couple things to look out for will be jackshaft & driveshaft bearings. They only last so long before they wear out. Other than that, I had a problem with my 500 pumping coolant. I believe the water pump belt had stretched to its limits and was slipping on the pulleys. This would cause your sled to overheat and blow a cylinder like my 500 did to me twice. I believe a new belt would have solved that problem for me.

Good luck, I think it would make a good ice fishing sled. Should you stud it? I don't think it would hurt. In early and late ice conditions with minimal snow cover, it sure helps.

Thanks Hanson-

How often does one have to replace the cooling belt? Should, a guy just do it to prevent problems? Is there a telltale sound or noise that would tell you there is a bearing problem? Thanks again guys- RR4