• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kind of a dumb title for the post but some of you South Dakota guys should be able to help.

I caught a part of a Tony Dean episode this weekend and it was probably an old show too but they were ice fishing for Salmon (Coho's ??) on Lake Oahe. It caught my interest because its something I've never seen or heard of before. I'm also from Minnesota so that might explain it. grin.gif

Are there any past threads on this topic or other sites you could direct me too??

Does anybody have the scoop on what this show was about??

I saw the show too. It was an old show from 1995. I actually remember watching when it first aired.

The were fishing the Oahe system for Chinook or king salmon in late February. I believe they were fishing the dam side and not the tailrace judging by how close they were to shore. The guy Tony was fishing with was with The SD Fisheries who stumbled onto the idea of catching chinook through the ice when he examined the stomach of a chinook he caught earlier in the season that was full of smelt.

They would first catch some smelt with small panfish rigs tipped with a waxie. They would then put the fresh caught smelt on a bobber rig just like you would ice fish for walleye with a shiner.

They fish the tailrace in the late fall and also hear some catch them on a flyrod out of belly boats in the spring.

I think the chinook population has been pretty steady on the lake, so I am sure some do it every late winter there. But like everything I'm sure correct timing is a must.

It did look like alot of fun.

Post it on the SD or ND forum and see if you can get more info.