• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pistakee Bay 12/26 AM..NICE and a few

Pistakee Bay 12/26 AM..NICE and a few

Was a last minute thingy for a few hours with Gorski. Had my heart set on first ice at Bangs, but no go. Open water 125 yards from shore, not a soul around. Plenty of geese, though. Bad sign when the parking lot is empty at the marina, and cant talk Gorski into walking out first. Safe than sorry.

Decided to take a look at Pistakee, since we were in the neighborhood. Plenty of good ice. Some spots almost 6 inches. Parked at OakPark Hotel and Lounge. Went to the usual spot, 19-20 FOW. Fished 17 and 18 FOW. Schools of something, were flowing in and out. Nice to see the vex lighting up.

Lots of sniffers, with the occassional tap. Reflexes are still off. Lost a couple of stripers at the hole, and did manage a sheephead, UGH. Best bait combo was dark with one spike lightly hooked inthe arse. Ran the gammit of finkees, included purple, black, brown. Then tried a yellow, no hits on that. Went back to purple, and the fish responded. Multiple spikes got nothing.

Saw some cats, more sheephead, a few small crappie, some stripers. Decided to work my way back to the ramp in progressive shallow waters. More hookups, but seemed like dinks. Warm enough too. Three guys has 6 tip ups out, but nothing.

Was gonna hit mallard on the way back, but figured I'd give the wife a break. Took the boy to gander mountain for one last pass through be the trip up north next week.

Best bet was working the top of the schools via dual holes in 20 FOW. One with minnow on slip positioned at 16 to 17 FOW. Then, jig plastic slightly lower. Minnow brought them in, then use jig to entice.

To get to Oak Park Hotel, best bet is to MAPQUEST Oak Park Hotel in Johnnesburg (Ithink). Otherwise 355 to till it ends, then west to 12. North on 12 to sullivan lake road, left. Then straight to 2nd right (Cuhlman I think) Go to three way, take a left. Then follow signs to various marinas. Nice place, with lounge and parking, though get there early. Can night fish there too.

finally got out on pistakee bay last night. fished my first inland lake at night in Illinois, got skunked. marked many fish in 15 to 22 feet of water. all sniffers. i tried everything, minnows, waxies, spikes (red & white). i used small jigs, glow and non-glow, all colors of go devils. they wanted something that i didn't have, any ideas? thanks for the info on the location, i will be going there quite a bit. take care and good fishing.

nate

That one of my favorite places to go. You can usually catch something. One day I caught 50+ drum and there was a black guy the took everyone of them. I heard that drum in the winter is good but haven`t tried it. Nate we will have to get out sometime, maybe Mark can meet us there to. I am leaving for the winnie event on the 5th and going to be back around the 12th. Hopefully the ice will be in good order by then.