• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV License

OUT_FISHIN

Anyone know where all of our money goes that we pay to put tabs on our wheelers? I had to buy tabs for one of my wheelers and they were $36 this time. the last time I paid $22. They need to set up a fund like they do for snowmobiles and use the money to fix the wetlands that they talk about everyone wrecking! instead of complaining that they dont have any money. $36 times how many wheelers would add up to alot of money. Ive been told that the money goes into a general fund? Any ways, just needed to vent, it seems everytime i turn around more restrictions and more money, but less use.

Good ridin.

Minnesota needs to treat ATV'ers better!Like Wisconsin where they have trails,and ditches where you can drive to gas up,and places along the way to eat at.Besides I only see ATVing getting more and more popular,especially since snowmobiles are only used a couple months of the year(if we get snow)?And they are legalized to go wherever they want.We also have to put reflectors on our fish houses so the bar hopping snowmobilers don't hit them when they are going across the lake at illegal speeds!

I don't have the numbers on hand but, some of the registration fees goes to the ATV fund for things like building trails, education and enforcement. Some of the fee goes towards the issueing of license numbers, booklets, safety classes, etc, etc.

Also, a percentage of the MN gas tax does go into the ATV fund as well. It's a percentage of tax and that's calculated by how many registered ATVs and the estimated amount of gas used by ATVs in MN. The same gas tax setup also applies to individual Off Road Vehicles and Off Road Motorcycles.

Although, the calculation for the gas tax that gets put into the ATV fund is quite old and, one of the problems that the state legislators should look at and recalculate since the ATV population is higher.

Also, fighting lawsuits from anti-atvers costs money!!! Actually, there are millions of ATV dollars dedicated to the ATV fund for building ATV trails BUT, if the "OK" isn't handed down from the DNR, the trails can't be built until the lawsuit is settled. If the DNR is fighting lawsuit after lawsuit, the DNR will not give the go-ahead to build a trail. So, the money sits there or is used to fight lawsuits by doing study after study as to why an ATV trail is suitable for that area.

It boils down to talking to your state representatives, let them know YOU support ATV trails, education and enforcement. And, that you would like THEM to support those things too.