• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heated hand grips

TV BOY

Installing heated grips are very easy to do. I have gotten the old grips of by sliding a skinny screwdriver underneath the grip, to break up the glue adhesion and rolling the grip off the handlebar. They're usually glued on pretty good though and lately I've just sliced them off the bar. Clean the metal bar good. Apply the adhesive recommended by the grip manufacturer. Most say do not use a quick dry expoxy. Apply the epoxy to the end of the handlebar tube, and some inside the grip, so when you slide the grip on the handlebar the grip "rolls" the epoxy down the tube as you push the grip on. Rotate the grip into position so the wires do not interfere with the controls. 12-volt power and ground for the grips can be found inside the headlight pod. Make sure it's a power wire that turns off when the ignition key is off. I've been really happy with "Hot Grips", with a variable control and Cycle Country's heated grips.

The grips are pretty easy to install, I did it in the summer of 2003 and have been very happy with them.

One thing you might want to think of is that the glue needs to be put on at a temperature of 50°.

Without a heated garage or another place to put it in for a couple of days I had to wait until summer(I had received the grips as a Christmas present in 2002). One other thing, if you’re going to put them on you might want to put on the thumb warmer at the same time, I wish I had.

An easy way to remove the old grips is put your hand over the hole in the end of the grip and use an air hose to pressurize the other side (of the handlebar). Give a twist and they usually come right off.

Thumbwarmers are a must have. They don't work well though with the shotgun shell throttle conversion, so you have to do without it for the winter if you want to keep your thumb warm.

Later,

River

I recently put heated grips and thumb warmer on my 2005 King Quad and it was very easy.I bought a kit that came with the hand warmers and the thumb warmer,and only one power wire and one ground which made the install that much easier.The warmers have adjustments from 5 different settings for both hand and thumb,so you can get the temp just right! grin.gif