• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My SP700 is FINALLY ready for the ice (Or is it?)

Moose-Hunter

Howdy All..

Well, this may be case of just "showin' off", but what the heck. I'm sort of proud of how it turned out....

700 rigged for ice 2.jpg

I'll be using this baby to tow my Otter Lodge as well as pulling my perm around to the latest hotspots...

I'm done with the mods... Or am I? What else do I need? (Beside ice! wink.gif )

That an awesome looking machine. If your pulling a perm you might want some chains for traction. I was thinking about one of those auger holders and I was wondering how easy it is to strap you auger on? I like to move around a lot and I want something that I can throw my auger on real quit. Does it fit on any rack? I have a Honda.

Hey Joe...

I should probably list all the gizmos and doo-dads that are hiding in the bags... I have chains (rear only) in the front bag. I'm still debating if I should stud the tires and forget the chains all together...

The auger rack, is a custom of my own design. Built out of aluminum and coated the spary-on rubber. Kind of like the stuff you dip tool handles in. It attaches to the ATV using existing holes and fasteners so no drilling was required. The auger is held on with two rubber straps. VERY secure, and VERY quick from ATV to ice... (If we ever get some. mad.gif ) This auger rack is a prototype so just remember... You saw it here first!! grin.gif If you'd like more pics of the rack, drop a note to northernstaroutfitters (at) yahoo (dot) com. I'm not producing these for sale, but I'd be more than happy to help you design one for your Honda.

Thanks again for the nice comments about my "toy"...

Moose-

Good looking wheeler, i have been outfitting mine for the ice too. I will get some pictures on here soon, we should start a pictures post of our "rides". That would be fun, it would be cool to see someones wheeler on the ice that you seen online! Where did you get your 589's? they are an excellent tire to stud due to the tread depth and hard compound. I am looking to buy some 26" for my yamaha, and i am looking for the cheapest price i can, do you have any ideas on a good deal? I need to get an auger holder still too.

a plow would be cool to bank your perm, and a handheld spotlight like a RAM grablight they mount to your rack or handlebars. The RAM light is kinda $$$ you can get the other brand for like 35bucks at gander. do you have any heated handgrips (they rule!)

Hey there, Kodiak...

Maybe we should start a thread in the picture forum on Ice Rigs...

I thought about a plow, but weight and $$$ made that decision for me. I wanted a "less is more" thing going on. Only essentials. I have a collapsable shovel in the Otter for banking. I'll just take that with when setting the perm.

I really like the spotlight idea. The extra Piaa running lights are GREAT but only directional while turning the ATV... I'm going to check into that. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Heated grips are a MUST!! The 700 came with them as part of the "hunter" package. As well as a thumb warmer!! I just installed the windshield last night. It's the model designed for the 05 models. Not a "perfect fit around the headlight pod, there are some small gaps, but it looks a whole lot better (and wider too) that the ones designed for the 04's...

I listed my email addy in my second post. Drop me a note. I may have an idea or two for you on tires. grin.gif Great pricing and ULTRA fast shipping!!

The real question is I don't see that 500 you bought in that pic to. Also does is go better with the carb work and vent tube i installed. I didn't get a chance to talk to ya when you picked it up. I thought it ran much better after a little tuning. Rode it both before and after and thought it worked well. what do ya think let me know.

Moose hunter- I don't think I have the time and resources to make something like that but I have a few ideas of my own for holding my auger. I made a box out of plywood that clamps to my back rack and I might try cutting notches in each end to hold my auger. I'd like to customize my atv for ice fishing but I have to see how well it performs in the snow first. I have a stock Rancher ES and it doesn't have as much ground clearance as yours. But if it works well I might try to modify it a little. I have two so I might make some modifications for bowhunting on the other. I'll post some pics if I ever do anything to it.

Hey Sledhead...

The 500HO is over to the right, out of the frame... You can bet the "little one" is getting a few mods as well... I had to concentrate on the "big dog" first. She's the workhorse.

Let me tell you... The carb work made a TON of difference. Cold starts need very little or no choke at all. And a nice little performance increase in the lower and mid RPM range was a nice kicker. Top end remains about the same.... SCAREY!! LOL!! I've been recommending the carb work to all my buddies with the carbed twins... I'm sure you've probably done a few of theirs.

So here it is folks... If you happen to own a Polaris carbed twin ATV... Get it over to Sledhead for the carb update. It's WAY worth it!!!

Runs like a champ!!! Thanks for your efforts!!!

Hey Joe...

If you do go ahead and modify your box, just make sure the power head of the auger is supported. As well as the drill. A friend of mine built one last year that only held the drill. With the power head unsupported, the gearbox and coupling really took a beating and he ended up having replace his brand "X" auger with a brand new Strikemaster this year at the Ice Show. Definately an upgrade!! But a "forced" upgrade none the less.

The rack I built is a two piece design. One side holding the power head, the other the drill. It's made of aluminum that you can pick up at any home improvement store. The only thing I had to "farm" out was the welding. It's possible that even JB weld would work and further lower your costs. After everything was said and done, I may have $35.00 to $40.00 into it.

Drop me a note at the address listed in my second post if you'd like more details... It's a easy build.

Thanks moose hunter. I was just think about ideas after I posted and I think I'm gonna keep the power head inside the box and only cut out one side for the drill. But it would wouldn't matter anyways cause my 14 year old Jiffy is unbreakable. grin.gif

That's a sweet lookin rig, one thing that I don't see that I would definately recommend is a bucket rack. Go to their HSOforum, bucketrack.com, I bought one last year, and it was definately the best thing I've ever put on my rig, I also bought one for my Dad this year for Christmas. You'd be amazed how much room you save on your racks or baskets when you don't have buckets sitting in them, or sliding around, or falling out etc.

GOOD idea John... I've seen their HSOforum and they look really nice. I just don't happen to use buckets. With the bags and towing the Otter, I have a TON of room for equipment. That's the problem. Now that I have all this room, I feel the need to fill it with more gear!! grin.gif

But I ask you, is that such a bad thing?

That is one SWEET ride that you have!!!!!!

I also built a cstom box that fits on the back rack that will hold the rod bags, lantern, heater and a couple of buckets. It works great but this year I added a wheel to the front of the trailer so that I could unhook it from the truck and wheel it into the garage with the 4 wheeler still on. Now if I leave the box on I have some clearance concerns. I will possibly modify. What do you do with the fish that you catch? Possible to see some pictures of the layout in the pouches..

Thanks for the great ideas.

Thumper

Ok I think I finally figured out the picture thing so I gotta show mine off a little too. Not quite what yours is Moose but mine is fully equiped with a driver. grin.gif I need to look into the packs like what you have and wheels and tires and.........Ok I just got her talked into leting me get the wheeler so I guess accesories will have to wait a while. (But I NEED it to plow the diveway this winter wink.gif)

Do you have any close up pics of your auger rack I have an IPI or something like that and I like it BUT those little velcro straps can be a pain in the back side. If ya got some pics could ya send them to me [email protected] that is unless they are under strict secrecy until you are awarded your patten number. wink.gif

minip00000958nr.jpg

I need to check my tire size to see if those tires you have for sale will fit mine.

Thanks

arbuck

Howdy arbuck...

I think you're all squared away!! Driver included!!

To be honest... The auger rack is a prototype and, well, didn't do so good in it's first outting. I tried to make it as light weight as possible, but I guess I made it TOO light. I was not figuring in for as much lateral forces as I came up against. I have a new, shorter "model" I'm just finishing as we speak. I'll be happy you send you some shots of the finished product. But remember where you saw it first.. wink.gif

I was going to go with the IPI holder, but found with the poly handle (square profile) on my Strikemaster Ultra, those velcro holders for the power head made removal too difficult for me with gloves on.

AS far as the tires... I'm basically letting them go for a steal!! Check out what you're running now for size and let's talk.

moose I made an auger rack like yours,but made a few changes. Mine is removeable, with quick pins , and I used 1" square tubing instead of 1""or 3/4" angle for the main bars. I will try to post pictures for you at a latter time.I had to make it removeable, because I use a cover when I trailer it, and they would stick too far out of the back. Thanks for the great idea!