• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WATER IN OIL

Amandafish

Question

My fiance droped our boat off last week to be winterized, we have been bringing it to a guy that works from his home, he is a certified mech., used to work at Mn.Marine, it is a older boat with an 120 merc cruiser (IO) we do not have a garage to put it in so we had a elec. heater in the boat and had the boat covered.

So he calls the next day and says the boat is done, then a hour later he calls and said he took a look at the oil and there is white foam in it which means there is water in it and the block must be cracked confused.gif then says he has a motor he will sell us.

What I would like to know is there any other reason there would be water in the oil, and should we get another oppion?

I find it odd he would check the oil after he winterized it.

I would like to think we can trust him ,we have been bringing our boat to him for about 3 years now.

Thanks for any information or advice, Amanda

8 answers to this question

I would say how much water in the would dictate where it came from. If there is a just a little it could condensation, but if there is a larger quantity it would probably be coming from a blown gasket somewhere or a cracked block or head.

And as far as to when he would find the water, it would depend on in what sequence he did things to winterize the boat. If fogging the motor was last, then checking the oil next would how things should be done.

I am not sure that I would purchase a new motor until I am fairly sure that is a cracked block. Just be sure that the foamy oil is remove before storage or you will definetly be looking for a new motor next spring.

Did the mechanic run the engine with muffs while winterizing it? To much water pressure to the muffs and having the water running while the engine isn't running will often result in water making its way to the crank case.

What you want to do now is get that water out of the crank case and determine if indeed the water is from to much water presure.

Drain and replace the oil and run the engine with the muffs on and low water presure. Drain and replace the oil again and go threw the weatherization process again with the water pressure turned down and don't let the water run until the engine has started.

Most people overlook the exhaust manifold as a problem with water getting in the oil. Is your engine freshwater cooled or raw water cooled? If the manifold has a crack or it's rusted through it will leak water back thru the exhaust ports and if the exhaust valve is open the water gets into the cylinder and leaks by the rings into the oil pan. A new manifold is a lot cheaper than a new engine.

Best of luck... smile.gif

I spoke with the guy briefly yesterday, he said the oil is a quart up, so I think we can rule out condensation. frown.gif

I also asked about the manifold, he said that looks fine.

When I asked about the water/muff reply he said you get more presure from your waterpump? Maybe he did not understand what I was talking about.

He is going to change the oil today, run it and see if the water comes back.

Thanks guys for the replys, Amanda

I have an I/O motor that had water in the oil last fall when I was winterizing it. I kind of expected it though since the engine overheated once for me during the summer due to the lower pick-up water pump failing. I overhauled the top end of the engine and it ran great this summer. I was just wondering if you ever noticed if the engine overheated this summer. If so and even if it didn't you should have the water pumps replaced or at least checked. Hope this helps.

Have him do a leakdown test on each cylinder. This test helps determine if a top end job or more may be necessary. If you can hear air from the manifolds (intake or exhaust), it means valves need to be redone. If there is air being introduced into the water jacket area and possibly the crankcase, could mean a head gasket, or warped, cracked head or block. Air heard through just the crankcase breather usually means worn rings. Water getting into the crankcase from too high pressure could mean an internal exhaust manifold/water jacket leak too, which would not normally show up with this test

jigeye,

We did have that problem, not this summer but the summer before.

I think it is called a (impeler) small wheel rubber thing?

I may be wrong on the name, I know what you are talking about.

The boat ran fine this year.

I just can not belive it has been that cold to crack the block, plus having the heater in it, maybe it is that I just dont want to belive it!!! mad.gif

Thanks again, Amanda