• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In Search of Lake Trout Vacation

WalleyeDundee

I take several trips each winter to Mille Lacs, URL, LoW, etc in search of Mr. Walleye. I would REALLY like to do a similar trip this year to find some big lakers.

Where are the best fishing areas in Minnesota that a guy could go and be halfway successful on his trip? I was kinda thinking Ely, but I'm not sure. I think the BWCA has a bunch of great lake trout lakes. The other option I know of is Lake Superior. I'm a bit intimidated by fishing Superior, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Any ideas?

Walleye,

In regards to your question and thinking of Lake Superior, it is big water but it's fairly easy to catch a lake trout here during the hard water. By living here year and fishing here on the south shore and from talking to people who have come up just to fish for lakers, it seems they all have success at least hooking into a fish or two or ten. More so then finding a place to catch lakers is accessing some of the best trout fishing in the area. If you dont have access to a four wheeler or a snowmobile your very limited in the spots you can fish for lakers, and these spots seem to get the most pressure. But still people catch lakers there. Stop at the bait shops in the area, and the owners will show you spots to go and catch fish and different techniques we use in the area to catch them. At times, we fish for lakers as deep as 200' where the current is so heavy that you may need 4 to 7 ounces of lead to reach the fish. And then when one hits, its an unbelievable fight. In late Jan-Feb we are usually able to get into the Apostle Islands to fish some deeper holes, where our chances of catching bigger fish are increased. 40" lakers that you bring up from 200' that will then run back to the bottom 3 to 4 times, its awesome. Don't count this area out for a trip, its beautiful during the winter and if you get a chance to travel the ice into the islands it's a memory you will never forget.

If ya need more info, let me know

If you are interested in coming a little further north, I have a Canadian fishing lodge that is open in the winter and our main species is lake trout. We are open from jan 1. to ice out. The resort is called Camp Manitou, it has 4 housekeeping cabins on the island. For more info you can call me at 1-800-766-0876 or e-mail us through our other resort. www.happylandingfishing.com when e-mailing through be sure to mention camp manitou and winter lake trout.

thanks

Try Paul at Musky Bay Resort. Great fishing and the meal plan was fantastic. Lakers, Muskie on crow and Crappie, Walleye, Perch on Sabaskon Bay of LOW. Also check out the resort locator forum here on FM for sponsoring resorts.

If your into doing some hiking, i dont think you can top a BWCA trip. or else hit the laker lakes that border the BW, these are also good. planning on focusing most of my attention to them later this winter too. i say hit the gunflint, more options.

If you'd like to try Ely call Smitty's on Snowbank. They are about 20 miles past Ely. They have heated fish houses for lake trout.If you'd like to go into the BWCA there are a number dogsledding guides you can use. You can hire them for guided trips or just to freight your gear in and out. We use to hire Kelly Murphy to freight us into Basswood and Knife Lakes. Pick up a copy of The Boudery Waters Journal, lots of adds for resorts and guides. Yuo can find it at Cub Foods.

I second the mention of Paul and Chris at Musky Bay. Excellent chow package, the accomodations are great, and the fishing is some of the best I have found. Crow lake in the wintertime is simply beautiful, and the water clarity is hard to believe. If you have an underwater camera, you'll have a blast.

Quote:

I second the mention of Paul and Chris at Musky Bay. Excellent chow package, the accomodations are great, and the fishing is some of the best I have found. Crow lake in the wintertime is simply beautiful, and the water clarity is hard to believe. If you have an underwater camera, you'll have a blast.

If you are willing to drive about 2-3 hours further north to Ontario, Canada you will be in some great LAKE TROUT country. The above quote and Northlanders comments - I can only say from experience that Muskie Bay does a FANTASTIC job for accomodations. For the $$$, you just can't beat it. I'm thinking for a room and 3 meals a day, I paid like $60-70 a night! AND meals were just great- Kris's lasagna is out of this world smile.gif

We didn't catch many fish on Crow- we even had one of of their guides for the 3-4 days while we were there. Our best fishing was done on LOTW were they had a great crappie spot and we caught buckets of 12-13" crappies one night.

This last year we went out of Anikonen (small town east of St.Francis) for 3-4 days and got into some great laker action. We are headed back up there this year for a 4 day trip, so that has to say something. Accomodations are good $50, a man, and we bring our own food.

If you got sleds and/or snowmobiles, you are in good shape. If not, you might want to consider huff and puffing the BWCA lakes (as mentioned Snowbank and Burntside).

You got the right one now. Paul is a great guy and his wife is a mean cook. Get the meal package you will be glad you did. We have a crew going up March 14th threw the 19th or 20th. I may not be there but Poutslayer and kettlefallskid will for sure. Bring your sleds if ya got them.