• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 stroke outboard oil

Ole #1

Question

I'm winterizing my boat myself this year for the first time, and I have a question about the oil. I have a 2003 Johnson 140 4 stroke and I know the Johnson brand synthetic 4 stroke oil is very expensive. In the manual it says it's ok to use a SAE 10w-40 motor oil and it is a lot less expensive. I just wanted to know if anyone else uses rgular motor oil in their 4 stroke outboard?

If you do, what kind?

Any help would be great, thank you.

Ole

5 answers to this question

I decided to get the johnson oil, but I have a problem now. I don't know where the oil filter is. The manual has all the directions to change the oil, but the manual says see dealer about changing the oil filter. I took the motor cover off, but I can't find the oil filter.

Does anyone else have this motor, or experience changing oil on this motor? If so, where is the filter?

Ole

I have a 2004 115 Johnson 4 stroke and just did my own oil change. the oil filter is under the bottom cover on the drivers side. There is about 6 screws on that side and 3 on the other. You can see it if you have the cover off, look down just above where you drained the oil out, its black. And use johnson oil, the motors have 3 year warranty but they say you have to use there ultra oil. 6 qts of oil filter and lower end lube $52.00.

Thanks for the info.

I think I know where your talking about, do you have to take off another cover to get to it? I didn't know if I should unscrew that side cover off to get to it or not.

Ole

Ole,

I have that identical outboard. Yes you have to take the right side cover off. Take off the top cover. Take the rubber gasket around the bottom half of where the cover sits and move it out of the way. You should be able to see the filter on right/drivers/starboard side of the motor-- mine is black. Then unscrew all the bolts off the side cover. There should be about 6-8 of them. They have a phillips and hex head on the screws so you can use a socket wrench or phillips screwdriver. I would recommend using the "L" shaped wrench in the tool kit that came with the motor. It has the exact size of the hex on the screws that hold the cover. Then the whole cover comes off. The screws won't come completely off-- they'll float in the plastic of the cover-- just loosen them all the way. You might have to jiggle the cover a little to get it free from the gasket where the throttle cables go in.

Also I too use the Johnson Evinrude Ultra II synthetic blend oil. It costs a little more but you only have to change your oil once a year.