• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Re: Cheseapeke Advise

Jay R

you are being just a teensy bit vague don't ya think.

all i can say is great dogs, loyal companion, great nose, great memory, hard driving retrievers. hardy. built for cold water. i had one once that could smell a flock of ducks flying before they came into sight if the wind was right.

right now i have one that his sense of smell is so strong that he can actualy sniff out and locate a school of crappies through the ice!! believe it or not he was featured on ripleys believe it or not. i could show you some pictures.

if you hunt fowl, and have room for, and time to excersize them, and have patience while training,then they might be the breed 4 you. i have found repetitive training is the ticket. they may seem dumber than a box of rocks at times, but they are taking in every thing. once they have it in their brain they will never forget it. locked in.

i love em. smile.gif

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, JINGLESTICK

Hi,

Thank you for the info Jigglestix,I was not trying to be vauge just my first post didnt post so I explained in more detail what I was looking for. I did pick him up this weekend. He is 11 mos old and I am the 3rd owner in that time. It's a long story!! So far so good and we are very excited to have him, we have plenty of space as we live in the country. So thank you again for your post.

Jay R

Chesies is the only dog I've owned. Had good ones and bad. You get a good chessie and you just got the best dog you'll ever own. They are loyal, determined and protective. They sometimes can be stubborn, but that goes along with the determination factor. IMO You really need to understand them to make them good. The good ones will easily and happily go through stuff that you can't even stand to watch on tv weather channel. They can withstand just about anything. Hope the pup is great.

Reading my post I should clarify this. You don't really make them good, they just are. You just need to form a relationship with the dog, so the two of you are like a team. You'll never regret it.

Chessies are the only dog I'll Own!!! They are great with kids, and even kids themselves!! Take them with you everywhere you can, work, store,park, lake, everywhere! This teaches them socialization, and not to be concerned about other people all the time. If you don't, I think that they become over protective,and growl and bark at everyone and everything! In regards to training, start like you would with a baby, slow baby steps over and over. Don't ever get discouraged, just keep at it and always praise the dog. Make sure you let them know big time when they do somthing right. Like mentioned above, the most loyal breed around. You'll never find a better, stronger, smarter hunting partner! My Chessie has proved me wrong many times!! Best of luck to you !

Bret

Keep us updated on the progress, I have two labs now but have always been very interested in chessies, I'm thinkin the next one might have to be one. I love the fact that they will hunt in any conditons. The stubborn part is the only thing that worries me. I guess patience is the key as with most things.

I also have a Chessi. Many people that I hunt with confuse thier aggressiveness with aggression. They are a highly misuderstood dog and have been forgotten since the popularity of the labrador. They are in my opinion the best dog I have ever hunted with. The question is is it obedience you are looking for? I can truly tell of the people that responded to you that they own and understand Chessies'. They require lots of time and patients. They are incredibly intelligent. The problem is they "think"!! Most labs are given a command and they just "Do". I have had this talk with many dog owners of all breeds. The best all around dog is a lab........ But if your looking for a menber of your family....one whom eats, sleeps, plays, and hunts with you. then get a chessie....I personally will never own another breed. I am not bragging them up!! There are chessie rescue clubs because most people could not handle them (understand them). My best friend is 8 years old...Those eight years have been incredible. I realize this does not help you, but if I had any advice... Love your dog like it was your child and that dog will do anything for you or your family...Good luck!... Be patient...and steel shot wont bother you anymore because all you have to do is wound em with a chessie.

HBCBR

Hi,

Just a short update on our new addition to the family. Our new Chessie is a wonderful partner / friend / family member. He has really taken to everyone in the family. I try to take with me wherever I can and I think this really helps as he is very social. He really seems to have a great nose and a ton of natural insticnt. Very pleaed with him so far and as far as I can see that should not change. I would reallly recommend this breed to others off my short experience but with a few words of caution.

They need room, attention, afffection, and dedication on the owners part. just my 2cents

Jay R