• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

South Dakota report

Got back last Wed, hunted south and west of Redfield. Lots of birds left, if you have a chance, get out there!! It was fun, fun, fun! Four of us limited out the first couple of days, the birds were wild, but we always put out posters to try and head the birds off, we had to work for our birds but we all had plenty of shooting. The last couple of days there were only two of us, so we'd hit the birds from different ends of the slough, it seemed to 'freeze' the birds. We also beat on a few doors and got onto some private land which helped a lot. If you have a chance, go!! It was depressing hunting pheasants last weekend in MN and being lucky to even see a rooster.

hey blackjack do you guys use dogs? My dad and brother and I just got back from the Mitchell area, saw plenty of birds, most were wild until the wind came in, then you HAD to step withing 3ft to get them up. It was alot of fun, i might hit her again in late Dec.

-jn

BLACKJACK, we used a dog couple of times, but you dont need him everywhere you go, if my shooting was up to par(prob. everybody's problem!), I could have had my limit everyday, atleast where we hunt. They are out there, I know plenty of guys who dont use dogs and shoot their limit. But, I would love to have a couple of retreivers or labs; Once I grad. from college, that'll be the first thing i do!

jn

jmnhunter, getting a lab WAS the first thing I did after college and 1 1/2 years living in the Cities. I started working in Rochester, found a place in the country, and had a pup picked out the first month, good old Pete. I'm now on labs 3 & 4, I'll have a lab the rest of my life!!

Was out in SD over Thanksgiving hunting (2 guys, 1 dog) Thur, Fri, & Sat. We limited out. I'm returning (different spot) next Thur, Fri, Sat, & Sun (4 guys, 2 dogs) for another go at them. I just loaded up 5 boxes of 1.5oz #4 shot for the occasion grin.gif .

PJ

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

The Pheasant hunting in SD was very bad this past weekend.

That being said, I'm going to assume it was a weather pattern thing and that the pheasant hunting is rarely this poor.

I enjoyed getting out with J Rookie K, Bryce, Hunter2, Reeltime and natebuddy. That was fun, but the pheasant hunting was very poor.

If we had been deer hunting we'd have all filled out.

Nice meeting Rick, Nate, Bryce, and the rest of the group. Perch Jerker...were you hunting public or private? Rick, I'm not sure I have your email but recall you have mine. Drop me a note with your address, as I want to fill you in on the rest of our trip. Bill