• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lighting ideas for portable?

frabillfisher

Just wodnering i was kinda hoping to use something other then a lantern for my portable sense its the frabill ulta-lite and space is limited so anywhere i put it its bound to burn the canvas..i was thinking of soem kind of rig like the size of a car interior lite if that would be brite enough?? Also i've seen the led rope lights but enver heard and good feedback so shoot me ur ideas confused.gif

I use a 12-volt trouble light with an extra deep cycle battery. It will go all night if I need it and keeps the house bright enough. I hang it from the top of my fish trap and it doesn't get too hot and burn the canvas. I also am looking into the rope lights.

I found an old 115 volt heat lamp in my shed that i use. its the type with the clamp on it. a 12 volt bulb and some alligator clips were all i needed and it works great. the clamp itself spaces the bulb far enough away from the canvas when attached to one of the poles that it doesnt melt anything. the lamp i have has a six foot cord on it which is about perfect. hope that helps you out for an idea.

Frabilfisher- If the pic. in your avitar is your house, then go with a head light. Plenty of light for night fishing. I can't think of the company right off hand, but is an excellent light(3 led lights). Put in your pocket before and after you are done fishing- ta da, light weight and one less thing to worry about.

I had a lantern, Northernlite from coleman and was a sweet lantern. BUT now that I have my headlight, I'm never worried about my tarp buring from heat.

I just use a head lamp.I don't hink I have had a lantern in a portable for 3 years.

Doing night guiding for cats,I have had a lot of headlamps from the very chepo's to some high quality ones.

Princeton Tech make some very nice ones. I have had the Aurora, and the Predator.The predator really shines things up but its a little on the heavy side. The Aurora is pretty brite in the shak at night and is conveinent and light weight.It has three modes of opperation and use three LEDs.

I would have to say my favorite right now is a $15 lamp made by Ray-o-Vac.It has 3 modes, a regular light, two LED and a red LED. The only draw back is that it uses 3 AAA batteries and does not last as long as most other LED lamps.You can still get 4 to 5 nights fishing out of it and maybee a couple more if you don't use the regular light. I picked that one up at Wallmart.

I never had a problem with fish spooking from a head lamp shining down the hole at night. At least not that I noticed.I just figured they got a look at my ugly mug! laugh.gif

I use a two wired temp socket with a rubber base and a 12v 25w bulb, I wired it to a 25' extension cord with battery cables on the end. Plug it right into the truck battery and have fished all night on red with out starting the truck.

There are also flourescent type lanterns that use a battery or batteries and gives of little to no heat at all. Also I have a yellow flash light, dont know who makes it off hand, but it has a collar that slides up and down to convert from flashlight to latern type light....works pretty good...I also use a 12 volt trouble light with deep cycle battery. But if your packing light..taking a deep cycle is probably not what your looking for.

I picked up a magnetic tent light (w/remote $15) from Coleman. Also, purchased the Coleman magnetic fan ($12) to place above my Buddy heater for circulation. Both are light and have very strong magnets so you can move them around. Can fold them up into my portable for easy transportation.

It lights up my portable just enough but I also have a headlamp for direct illumination when needed.