• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upper North Winters

Hi everyone...this is my first year up here(MN),I haven't had the opportunity to experience these wonderful winters you all have. What would you recommend for me, as in winter gear(not a big winter fan)my b/f is a guide(have a feeling I will be on the ice alot)so any advice will help!!

i'm a guy, so i can't tell you much about styles; and it will depend on how cold blooded you are. but ! you will want to dress in layers. first some long johns , or insulated under wear .( even an old pr. of panty hose will provide some extra warmth)jeans are ok, but lined wind breaker slacks are warmer. maybe a tee-shirt under a long sleeve turtle neck . then you can add sweet shirts etc.then get yourself a very good insulated coveralls or snow suit. several companies make them for gals. good socks. ( i still prefer wool, but there are some really good synthetics out there too) GOOD insulated boots.( your B/F should be a good source on what to get there) for gloves; i suggest regular gloves , but when it gets really cold , i prefer a pr. of glove liners inside some mittens. also a stocking hat and one with a face mask. these would only be some suggestions, and i'm a guy, sooooo ! grin.gif del OH! don't forget lip balm!! the cold dry air in tough on lips!!

Del hit it on the head.

Layers are the KEY. Then a good set of Bibs or Coveralls to top it off. Keeping the wind from running up the back of your jacket, will keep you warm. Good socks and boots that are not too tight, so you keep good blood movement in your feet.

Then just go out and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Steve

Hi there - a lot depends on if you will be fishing out of an ice house and what kind. Also, on how you are getting to the fishing spot. If you will be fishing outside, the info you received already is great or if you'll be getting to the spot by snowmobile or 4 wheeler. You'll need all that and I'd add toe warmers in your boots and hand warmers in your pockets.

If you will be fishing out of a canvas type portable - I assume you'll have a heater - you'll be warm in no time and will be able to take off coat, hat and gloves.

I get cold very easy - we only fish out of the canvas portable a couple times before we are able to get the house on wheels on the ice. Just like a cabin on the ice. I can't wait.

If you've never been ice fishing before you'll love it - AS LONG AS you stay comfortable. If you get cold you won't like it very much.

Have fun and catch lots of fish!

Vickie

Muskiegurl,

Have you had a chance to get out on the ice yet? and if so how did it go?

We got out for just a few hours yesterday - which is late for us - but still had a good time.

We're heading to Mille Lacs on Thurs with the house on wheels and will celebrate the New Year out on the ice!

Hope you enjoyed your first ice fishing experiece. smile.gif

Vickie

Hey Vickie...Yea actually I got out on the ice for the first time yesterday!! Not bad at all...he brought along the heater and we were good to go!! A little concerned with the ice cracking and making funny noises...but it was a very positive experience!! grin.gif We will be spending the New Year out on the lake also!! Good luck!! wink.gif

Any word from anyone on how much ice there is on Mille Lacs? I bet the last deep freeze we were in really helped. I wanted to get out there on New Years and stay over night in a house rented from a resort - but didn't know if any resorts had houses out on the ice yet.

Bexter,

Ice on Mille Lacs is good. We had about 17"-18". The resorts have pulled rentals out and are still pulling houses. Stay on the plowed resorts roads and everything should fine. We had a great time. A friend of mine who's from here but lives in California came up with her two boys and a nephew. Saturday afternoon/evening they came out to the fish house and we had a blast. We sent them home with a few walleyes - the 6 year old was having the time of his life.

Go up and have a fun time.

Vickie

Thanks! I'll bet after last night and tonight there is even MORE ice on Mille Lacs! Gotta love the frigid temps! If the cold temps are good for anything it's definitely making ice! :-)

Welcome Honey! So, this may seem a bit funny, but I have this big outdoors purse (cute of course)that I like to bring along with all my womanly essentials. The boys may laugh a bit, but I take it both fishing and hunting! smile.gif

It contains:

Extra Gloves/Mittens

Hand/Feet Warmers

Digital Camera (A MUST!)

Chapstick

Some Cards if it's slow biting

And of course a bit of Toilet Paper (you never know...haha)