• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lake john

I heard the same rumors as Dan Dan about Lake John. I was up at the Snake River Inlet yesterday and heard a local talking about it. For some stupid reason I left the ice house in the garage to stay nice and warm while I froze in the snow and cold. Never fished lake John but plan to hit it on Friday/Saturday. Any spots better than others? Anyone stayed at the lake John Resort before?

Hi Mscott. The great thing about Lake John, is that you do not have to venture too far from the boat ramp to get into great fishing, especially early on. I like to fish about 50 yds out and to the left of the ramp. Move around until you find weeds, and fish just above them. usually around 10-12 ft of water. If it is ready, I will be up on Saturday. Feel free to stop by. I have a Fish Trap Guide and I drive a white Ford f-150 with a pop-up camper. I'm planning on staying the night Saturday in the camper. The Lake John resort is OK, but it is cheaper if you head back to Walden. I've stayed at the Roundup Hotel and it is cheap and warm. Good Luck!

My wife (Sir Fish Alots mother) and I fished Lake John last year on New Years Day. We fished a little bit to the left and East of the boat ramp. The fish we caught were on the smallish end of the ruler. We spent New Years Eve at the L J Resort and if you don't require running water in your room then it's probably O.K. The food was good and Beer was cold. Having said that, and weather permitting, I plan on being up there next Saturday. I too Have a Fish Trap Scout and drive a dark Blue F-350 with a matching shell. Drop on by and say hi! I have white hair with matching beard, although once I get dressed in my ice fishing clothes, it's difficult see see anything besides my nose. <'((<

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifTalked to bill at the Lake John Resort today. He says there is 7-8" of good ice as of today. Says its been -15deg every night since Bird Day. He says that they are catching some nice ones. He said he hasn't tried N.Delony yet for Browns. Asked him about Big Creek Lakes and he said that you would need a snow machine to get back there. Good Luck to those who venture that far , this weekend. I'll be hitting Jefferson( hope theres ice this time).

Dan cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

What do you guys use at Lake John? Bait is allowed there, but not at the delaneys? Is that right?

Went to Snake River inlet and eventually Georgetown last Saturday and both were pretty slow. Looking for new ground. I could be interested in Jefferson too.

Last year was my first year ice fishing in Colorado, and had good success at Grandy for Macs.

JukerC, Many of the usuall presentations will work . I really like the rat finkees, tipped with a meal worm. Pink and Orange really seem to be the hot colors at John, so I would use anything those colors to start. Another thing that works well is a Kastermaster. Many times I'll jig the kastmaster, With my 2nd rod close by, and they slam the deadstick. Any metal spoon type lure really brings them in!. When I take my kids, I drill a circle of holes with two in the middle for me. I jig pretty strongly in the middle, and tell the kids to hold on tightly on the outside. They get slammed quite a bit!!

Hey Luckey, should I tell them about my go to bait???? I've just bought a couple more packs, so I'm

stocked for the winter wink.gif!!!!

John

Oh, and another thing, you can't use anything smaller than an inch and a half (1.5 inches) at the Delaney lakes. I've also heard they really check this there. So 1 inch tube jigs are a no-no. (Hint Hint)

John

Lake John is good to go. I fished it today. Never marked a fish until I moved to about 150 yards S.E. of the North boatramp in 19' of Water. The fish were bigger than last year and much more stout. There's about 7 inches of ice.

I drove by the Delaney Butte Lakes on my way home and there were people fishing the East and North lakes. I would guess there is about the same depth of ice on the Delaney's as there is on Lake John. Granby has no ice, I didn't drive up Arapahoe Bay so I don't know about that area. Willow Creek has ice on it but I couldn't see where any one had fished it. All and all I would say that the ice season is here.

<'((<

Went up today with a friend. Fished the north end of lake and we got about 25 between the two of us. All in all a good trip. The lake really looked slow I think some of the guys were fishing a bit deep.

The Weather was UNREAL for NORTH PARK! I couldn't believe it, no wind, sun, a great view of the mountains what more could a guy ask for?

I was up there Saturday and Sunday. Fished by the picnic tables. Not much yesterday as it was really slow. This morning was much better. Caught 2 nice trout, missed a couple more and watched about 20 big trout run up to my lure and stop, then leave. I was throwing everything at them. Caught one on a rat finkee and the other on a tube jig. I spent the night up at the resort there. Bill, the owner, is a heck of a nice guy. Stop in there for fishing tips and bait and tackle.

Mscottcody: we were there also on Sunday. We fished the south end, catching 7 in all. 3 of them were very nice grin.gif. My 4 runner got stuck down there, so we spent from 12-2 trying to get out. My daughter and I fished from 2-3 at the end of the picnic tables, were the road merges to go to the south end, and never even marked a fish, so we left. I was talking to Bill to get a tow rope, he is a pretty nice guy. My daughter hung out in the store with his wife while I was getting unstuck. Did you know that Charlie Meyers from the Denver Post was there? As we were talking, he got a hold of a very nice fish, but lost it right below the hole . All things considered, it was a great first day out on the ice, although, driving 340 miles for a day trip, I could really do without.

John

John 19: I actually was offered the "go along" with Bill and Charlie. I turned it down as I had to make the long trek back. Just as I was leaving I saw Bill and Charlie as Bill was helping pull out a truck that was buried off the road by the picnic area - was that you? I was going to try the south end as I watched a lot of trucks coming back from there on Saturday night but Bill had said the road might be pretty bad. On Saturday afternoon and evening I was fishing the picnic area and also never even marked a fish. On Sunday, I was fishing in about 10 feet of water with weeds growing up about 6-7 feet. There was only 3-4 feet of water over the weedline and it was like a highway watching HUGE trout swim by over the tops of the weeds. One of my holes was like that and the other one in my ice hut only 4 feet apart was mostly clear right down to the bottom. Definately an "overnight destination" as you are right - a long drive but with excellent possibilities!

I am planning on going to Lake John this weekend and taking my tent trailer, but I only have two wheel drive to tow it with. After reading of you getting stuck am I going to make it? Or will I need 4 wheel drive to pull my trailer in?

I was planning on going up Friday night and staying Saturday too.

Thanks for the ideas on what to use also.

I tried to go into Jefferson Lake last Saturday but could not make it into the lake with my two wheel drive. How was the fishing there?