• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stabil

Ole #1

Question

I'm winterizing my boat myself for the first time and have a question about Stabil.

If I put it in the gas, do I need to add gas to mix it up, or do I just add it and run the motor for 5 minutes?

Ole

5 answers to this question

Have used stabil in lawn mower,ice auger,weed eater,boat gas,four-wheeler and added 1 ounce per 2-3 gallons as recommended. Have always added stabil then stored for winter or summer depending on what im storing.Took ice auger out last week, choked,and fired in one pull.Sometimes I add a little gas, but if half full I just add stabil,and have never had a problem.Maybe lucky,but I dont think so, its good stuff. laugh.gif

If the gas in your tank is more than 30 days old then the Stabil may not work (or it won't work for long). You should also fill your tank full of gas. I use Stabil all year in my boat, garden tractor, snow blower, etc. and never had problems. The only problem I ever had was adding Stabil to old gas; learned that lesson 10 years ago.

Thanks for the info everyone.

What happenes if I add stabil to gas that has been in my tank for more than 30 days?

I have a 39 gallon tank and don't really want to fill it up with gas now and let it sit for 4 months or so, there's already a half tank.

Ole

I have a 40 gallon tank and 6 gallon tank in my boat. I've always filled my boat tanks prior to storage, in fact, I just filled up my tanks yesterday on my rig for storage, and with Stabil. I do this to all my boats and never, ever have a problem.

I'll tell you a horror story. I bought my current boat last spring and the owner left me 2 half tanks of fuel, not treated with anything. Moisture built up inside the tanks (both tanks) and ruined the fuel. I didn't know this and filled up both tanks thinking the fuel was fine. I had to dispose of 40 gallons of fuel after it was said and done. It was an ordeal I never want to experience again.

The gas in my current boat had sat since August, used 20 gallons since the last fill. It was still good fuel, and my motors won't run with poor fuel and I ran them up until last week so I know the fuel was fine.

Fill your tank, add Stabil and you should be fine. You can't believe the frost that can build up inside tanks with the daily temperature changes in the winter. The less air space the better IMO.