• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter Trout Fishing.

Renneberg

unbeleivable, between the 4 of us we iced nearly 100 splake over 2 days, the biggest going over 20 inches. the first day we fished a popular lake and did ok catching about 20 fish, the second day we made a 3.5 hour hike to a more remote lake and pounded them all day long. most fish were caught on small plastics or forage minnows tipped with wax worms. pics are posted on the bwca/duluth forum. can't wait to do it again.

I was out openning weekend both mornings, and one evening. We did alright. Got about 2 to 3 trout each (two of us) morning, with a pike mixed in here and there.

When I was out at night I had a couple trout come in nibbling on the wrong rod. Had two rods down. One for the trout with a red nuclear ant and eurolarva, then heavier rod with a buckshot jigging spoon and a whole fathead for the pike. Had a pike steal my nuclear ant in the first 2 minutes of being there, then when retying that I had trout gumming my fathead and jigging spoon. Just to put anybody worrying at ease, I was fishing with two rods, but this wasn't a designated trout lake. Friendly CO stopped over to check us out also.

Originally fished with a shrimpo and red euro, and did well. But eventually the trout would come in, look and sniff, then take off like they've seen it a few times already. Quick learners. Switched up presentations, then started catching again.

It was fun finessing them while you could see them only a few feet under the ice. Pulled a couple trout off the bottom too.

our most recent trip was no where as productive as the first, that's what i love and hate about trout fishing, one day you can't keep them off the hook, the next day you give yourself a headache from trying everything in your box trying to buy a hit. as a small group we iced 5 decent splake, one rainbow, and a few smaller splake. i beleive the weather had something to do with it, saturday morning we couldn't see more then 10 feet in front of you with all of the fog. after trudging through the slush i think it's time to start tying flies for spring.