• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

strikemaster polar vision handheld

icecold

I have not heard anything bad about the Polar Vision handheld. As long as you have relatively smooth ice and a little water (or spit) handhelds work well.

I use the Marcum LX-i handheld. I like the Marcum a bit better than the other brands because the depth readout is on top. You'll notice the others are near the base of the unit. Plus, I've dropped this unit a half dozen times and it still works. And, to top it off, it floats.

Don,

It does not work as a fishfinder. Nor does it run continuously. It has an automatic shutoff. It does not have a backlight either.

You may want to consider Marcum's LX-1 or LX-3 if you're looking for a depthfinder suitable for all ice fishing and open water situations.

They all work about the same but the LXi has the read out on the top. Thats great considering your looking at it from above not the side. I believe they all have a fish ID but these arent a fishing graph they only tell ya if there is fish present. Wont show ya your bait etc. I think they all float. I would go with the top readout on the LXi.

I have a Polar Vision and use it only as a search tool. When trying to QUICKLY find a channel in a rez I can run along and set the PV on the ice and get a quick depth reading. When I find the right depth (channel)I switch to my flasher. The PV comes in handy but if I had the money I would spring for a flasher...even a used or rebuilt one will do more work for you than a handheld.

icedog wink.gif

Northlander, I couldn't have said it better myself. I've got one with a side reading. It's hard to see when you've gotta bend down and try to keep your head off the ice.

I have yet to mark fish, as it says it will do. But they say it will read through the hull of a small aluminum boat as well.

I have the Polar Vision thanks to my wife. She gave it to me for my birthday not long after they hit the market. I'm always laying down licking the ice anyway so the side reading doesn't bother me. Although I am getting older and a little smarter, so maybe a squirt bottle and a top readout would be a good idea. They are an awesome tool, I'd get one or the other!!

Walleyedan

icecold,

I have been researching the Polar Vision and Marcum LX-i

models myself. Keep in mind there are older and newer versions of each, and all I have found on store shelves are the older versions. The old Marcum had 1000 watts, the new one has 2500 watts, and sells on their web site for 129.00 .

The old Polar vision had 850 watts, the new one has 2500 watts, see more about it on the Strikemaster web site.

So, all things considered, it's a very close call, but I'm asking Santa for the Marcum LX-i. I've been a good boy !

Good luck,

Don