• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Exhaust system for gas auger in fish house?

fishing41

This question came up on another post, so thought I'd start a new one to see if someone has an answer.

Does anyone make an exhaust system for a gas auger? Looking for something to go over the muffler and pipe the exhaust outside of the fish house.

Side question...Is the "smokeless" oil worth the extra $?

Here is something to ponder! Why not use your cordless electric drill? There are several adaptors on the market that allow you to use your 12-18v cordless drill and your auger bit to drill holes.

Benefits

No smoke

Can reverse the drill and spin the slush under the ice

You already have the cordless drill

You can find these on hsolist and they actually work great. One thing to remember is to get one that will keep your auger bit from from dropping into the lake should your chuck loosen up (and it will loosen up). The last thing you want is to bust all the way through and have your auger bit keep on going, and going, and going.

I have punched 50 holes thru 12" of ice with one 18v battery and a 6" auger bit. I think you will be amazed at how well it works.

That sounds like a great idea. However, I'm stuck on the feeling that "bigger is better" when it comes to the ice hole (I don't do a lot of panfishing through the ice) Probably a good subject for another post.

i made something like this for my weed eater to gas the moles and snakes out of my yard.... i found a rectangular funnel at wal mart and used a 20 foot rv sewer hose. i cut the bottom out of the funnel, duct taped the hose to the funnel. the funnel fits over the muffler fairly snug and the hose carries the exhaust where ever you want it.....

think it cost me about 15 bucks total

it might work, you just have to make sure that someone holds on to the end of the hose outside as that stuff coils up if theres no resistence.

craig

Hummmmm...That should be pretty easy to make.

I'm using the smokeless/low ash oil this year. I'm not sure how well it works, but the mfg claims you can run your auger at 100:1 ratio without any problems. I would think 1/4 of the oil would mean 1/4 of the fumes. confused.gif

I'll let you know whne I start cutting ice. grin.gif

I switched to amsoil last year after reading about it here last year and I dont think my strikemaster smokes at all any more except the short time it takes to warm up it also operates noticeably better, I would contact strikemaster by phone to see if they still have that muffler/exhaust hose kit they had last year, even if they dont offer it this year they may have some left over inventory from last year, just a thought good luck.