• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

charcoal suits effectiveness???

leechlake

First off I have a carbon suit. I've always wondered if it worked and here on FM last year there was a lengthy great piece that someone submitted saying they did not work because the carbon can't realistically be re-activated. I've had little luck with them also. In a recent study I have in front of me the National Wildlife Research Center did a study with people in the suits having dogs try to find them. The dogs found just as many people in the suit as not in a carbon suit.

I have no bone to pick but I'm always curious to how much scent elimination products work. It's one of those things that's hard or impossible for us humans to know because of our lack of smelling compared to a deer. Anyone know of any studies or other info that contradicts the above? I'd love to hear other sides to the story before I try to figure these things out.

I've been using scent lok for 5 years now. I wash stuff in scent killer soap. I keep stuff in plastic containers. To me it's a combination of all the things I can do that helps me try to fool a deers nose. Nothing will kill my scent totally but I feel the scent lok will reduce my scent so mr. buck thinks I'm 100 yards away instead of 20.

I understand and agree the suits are a tool. I'm just trying to figure out there effectiveness. As a non scientific study I took my carbon suit pants put them in dryer as mfg said and then tied a knot in the bottom of each leg. My wife then put a pancake in one leg, without me observing and I cinched the top. I then invited my dog to check out the legs of the pants he sniffed one leg and then the other and then tried to chew the spot where the pancake was. He smelled it. As I said, non scientific but interesting, at least to me.

thanks nuts, I have that article and another one sitting on my desk. That thread from two years ago kind of got me thinking on the subject. I've contacted two manufacturers to get some of their evidence of effectiveness all I see on their websites are endorsements. I'm working on putting together something that has both sides to the story, I want to be fair.