• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weird Taxidermy Question...

hanson

This might be a little weird and maybe doesn't matter to some people, but...

What color/material would you use to cover the skull/shield of a deer antler mount??

I've got 5 sets of small antlers that I'm going to do myself this winter. The taxidermy supply shops sell colored felt and also different types of leather, buckskin, & suede to cover the skull.

I guess it depends on what I prefer but I'm wondering if there is a classic or traditional way of mounting antlers? I buddy of mine has a cabin up north that has 20+ antler mounts all done with red felt. As a whole, they all look awesome together. For some reason, I think going the leather or suede look would look pretty cool too.

Anybody have an opinion??

The blue felt looks pretty sharp!

Pretty much whatever I decide to do this time I'll be doing for the next 20+ years, or at least a very similar variation of it.

I've also got 2 that still have the site tags on them that I thought would look pretty cool to leave on but I see you beat me to that one. grin.gif

Thanks for the pics.

Did you notice the empty .243 shell on the brow tine on the one??? It's the shell I used to bag that one.

I bet you didnt even consider that little tidbit??? grin.gif

If I remember, I'll take some pics of the red ones at the cabin this weekend. I personally like the color variation on all of them.

When i buy them i get the ones from cabelas that have the black skull cover. i like those ones. but if you get the felt i like the red. pretty sharp for the big racks.

Hey biglakeba$$,

by the way it sounds i am not the only one who hangs the empty shells on my racks and keeps the site tags. i think it helps tell the story when you have something like that.

How about tanning some some pieces of the hide(w/hair), from the deer you get this year, and use that for the covering. It might be a litte harder to work with, but the natural look might be worth it to you. I've been thinking about doing it with a two racks I have, but have not got around to trying yet.

I use deer skin that I have had professionally tanned without the hair. I have two colors of tanned hides - natural and dark brown. I have always liked the natural tanned hide over the skull plate. Another option for future bucks is the European or whole skull mount. My brother got a big 10 pointer this year that he is doing that with - it should look awesome.