• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman lantern problem

psegriz

Question

Was gettin stuff ready for icin and found my lantern was so dim that a match was brighter. The mantles just had a slight red glow and the tube where the gas comes out ( when I looked up inside) was burning brite blue. I don't know if the blue is normal and you just never notice cause the mantles are so bright or what.

Does it just need to be cleaned? If so how ya go bout it?

Is something broke and needs to be replaced and What would it be?

9 answers to this question

I've had 2 gas lanterns in the last 30 yrs. I would burn unleaded gas in them when it came out. The only thing I ever had to do was change the generator in them once in a while. It is easy to do. Just take your model number and buy a generator at a hardware store. Of course I've had to replace broken mantles and a glass globe a time or two.

Do you have a gas or propane lantern. Like berke said the generator could be bad. Theres a little needle that cleans the generator out, turn the knob a couple times while the lantern is lit. If you have a propane lantern the orifice could be plugged. You'll have to take the lantern apart to get at it then use a very small wire to clean it out.

I would change the generator when ever I would have a problem with getting the lantern to light and turning the cleaning lever did not help (Same with my cook stove). They work like new with a new generator.

While the generator is the most likely culprit, last year I had a problem with the portion that extends down into the gas tank. Through trial and whole lot of error I kept on backtracking from the mantle, and after talking with one of the customer reps from Coleman, he sent me some extra parts and asked me to send back what I didn't need. Sure enough, the assembly that contains the control knob and extends down into the tank was the problem.

sometime i open and close the brightness knob full open to full closed (while lantern is on and burning) several quick on/off cycles is susposed to help. Thats what is says to do in my instruction booklet and it fixes mine, for me (this usually only happends in the winter for me)

Good luck

Fishdog