• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eskimo Quik-Flip III - good buy???

walleye vision

Got a question for you guys. Need some input on buying a portable. I'm looking at a 2 or 3-man flip style house. I've narrowed it down to the Eskimo brand and Clam (fish-traps). Thought about the Otters, but they are a lot more expensive and the seating upgrades are costly, although they do pull like a dream. I was just quoted a price of $269 for the Eskimo Quik-flip III (including the bench seat). I'm really considering it, only problem is that it is kinda a lot of weight if i'm pulling it myself. I do love the fact that i can stand up in this house and not hit my head on the canvas.

So my questions for you all is do you think i should take this deal? Is the sled on the eskimo any good, are the round poles more prone to damage and bending than the square ones (ie the otters poles), how does it pull etc. ? Should i put anymore thought into the Clam fish-traps? Anyway, let me know what you guys think and if you have any input or personal experiences, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, WV

i based my decision on one factor..how many times do people go ice fishing with me?i said little to none..its not about the other people who arent dragging your sled and equipment..its about your personal preference,,i just purchased a frabill ultra lite.(new this year)not only does it weight 25 lbs but it seems like a nice sturdy unit..i put it together yesterday (took me 45 minutes to do)and i was pleased with the results.plenty of room,portability and most important, it fits my needs..if friends arent gonna be with you over 80 percent of the time then just get a one man..youll save your back..you will save time moving..with the ultra light there is plenty of room for the heater,marcum,auger and other stuff..just my 2 cents..joe

One thing about the larger, 3 man portables to consider is the size of it folded up. Can you haul it out to the lake with your vehicle (will it fit)? If you go alone, can you lift it into and out of your vehicle?

I thought bigger would be better, and didnt even think of getting the house to the lake.

I should add, I have no experience with the Eskimo itself, just adding comments that would apply (in my opinion) to any portable.

I own one and I cant say anything bad about it. If you are looking for a roomy 2 man its great, but three gets a little tight maybe me and my friends are just too fat grin.gif

I can load/unload mine alone loaded (the shack not me) I have a plywood floor that i use as a ramp to pull it into the truck. But a second pair of hands helps alot

I've got the Quickflip II and its great for one guy. I can tow it on foot and load it in my pickup by myself, but its still big enough for two guys to fish two lines apiece. Just drill the holes staggered rather than four across. Its also tall enough to stand in so you aren't hunched over. A word of advice; if you use it in a high wind, bring along some sort of anchoring system or file a flight plan. Out in Dakota last winter, I had tip-up flags go up and I had to yell for one of my sons to catch the fish because my sled would have blown away if I had gotten out.

I weight 120 pounds. I pulled a eskimo three a half mile last winter buy myself and loaded into and out of my full size pick up. I like the house. The only thing I am not crazy about is the fact with a heater running you melt the ice and it gets kinda slick. I made a floor that fits in the sled and works great. I just unload the auger and anything else of weight and lift one end set on tailgate then pick up other end and push in. The only thing i would recommend getting is the cover for it right away. If your going to be traveling away the fabric likes to flap in the wind. I can set up and be fishing in about 3 minutes, as long as the auger fires up right away...haha

My dad got one the same house last year at F/F for 200 around xmas time.

I have a QF3 99% of the time I fish with me and my son. Its great for the to of us I"m pretty tall and he is 10 years old so the room is great. There is plenty of room for 4 holes but I"m not so sure I would want to fish 3 people it would be tight quarters. The down side is the weight if your going to pull the house on foot depending on how much gear you have it can get heavy. I also last year in South Dakota had to have my son catch fish outside the house because of the wind. As far as the poles even in the wind they never bent. If the poles ever did break or bend some electrical conduit from the local hardware store is all it would take to fix the problem.

I think you have an chance to buy a great Ice shack at a great price! I bought one last year and I love it. It pulls easy enough if the snows not too deep.

The bench seat is very comfortable.

I can load it and unload it into my F150 myself if I take the auger out. You just need to figure out what is the easiest way for you to do it. I put the front end on the tailgate and then slide around to the back and lift it in. It only weighs around 110#

Hope this helps

"Your bobbers down!"

I believe you will like it. I have had mine for two years and have no complaints. I do prefer my bucket seats over the bench seating that is now in them.I have no problems pulling it by myself, or loading/unloading it. Yes it is heavier than smaller units but to me it is woth the extra room.

You have to ask yourself? Do I want a heart attack? From years of pulling and tugging a 2 man around through deep snow... go with the lighter of the two. Getting there is half the battle. Coming back pulling and tugging and coughing a lung out is the other half. If your going to drive out or use ATV, weight is really not an issue comfort is the issue.

I'd go as light as possible for pulling out myself!!!

Bruce