• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lefse......new recipe for an old favorite

Pops'

It is that time of year when we look forward to some traditional fare at the table. In my case it's "Lefse"....

but the old way is a slow messy procedure with iffy results

I found a recipe on the internet that uses "instant potatos'"...has any one tried this

Does it taste like the real home made Lefse....

MMM, lefse. You are sure making me hungry. I don't know how to make it but I sure like eating it. I thought I would reply just to acknowledge myself as a proud Scandinavian and lefse lover. Actually I'm more of a lutefisk lover(and I'm only 18). grin.gif Oh that stuff is good. I can't wait for Christmas at Grandma's! Good luck with your lefse making!

-MGH-

My wife and I switched to instant potatos this year and it tasted just like the "old style". She had to keep it cold as she rolled it, as it had a tendency to tear a little easier than before. The nice part about it is that once you get it down, it is consistant where before your recipe changed year to year according to how much moisture your spuds had in them. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the comment. I tried the "instant" potato recipe with mixed results. Taste was slightly better than store bought but not like homemade from regular potatos. Next time will try a differn't brand of instant potatos (and only half a batch).

"As any "good" Norwegian-American will tell you... lefse (lef-suh) is to us... as the tortilla is to the Mexican. It was something that we all looked forward to at Grandma's house for the holidays. Some of us even have tried to make our own to keep the traditions alive for our children ! "

"In Norway women would travel from house to house spending three or four days making up to a year's supply of lefse for the household. They would often work over an open fire and by lantern light into the evening. The finished rounds were stacked in barrels. Rounds were also stored in kistes (sea chests) or steamer trunks for fishermen packing provisions for long sea voyages. Often, the shed where this baking took place was also the place where beer was made."

...The Last Word on Lefse by Gary Legwold (1992)

Here is the link for the recipe I used. Click on the link at the bottom of that page for others. I used a differn't brand than he recommended because thats all I had on hand grin.gif I would try half a batch first and my electric fry pan worked best at 375. Good Luck

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/8823/yummy_lefse.html

thanks a lot guys, i'm down here at school and you just had to bring up the topic of Lefse, my mouth waters just thinking about it. Heading home tonight though and cant wait for grandma's lefse. she has used instant stuff for a while and she gets it shipped in from somewhere, it's hard to find, and it is delicious. it's easy to make and tastes great. I'll try and find out the name of it if anyone is interested and how you can get it.

I agree with someone before about it being slightly better than store bought. Lucky for me ma is teaching my 13 yr.old daughter how to make it the old fashoined way. She is getting the hang of it quit well. Ma even admits my daughter can now do it better than her. Looks to me like I'll have a lifetime supply of fresh lefse. smile.gifgrin.gif

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm LEFSE!!!!!!! I'm fortunate that my mother's cousins have made a business of the family lefse recipe and we get plenty each year. Also my sweety's mom makes lefse too so I'm covered even when we go to her family's place for Thanksgiving as we did this year.

I'm going to send that instant potato recipe to my girlfriend and my mom and see if I can't get one of them to try making it so I'm not reduced to the annual holiday helpings.

BUT...Lutefisk?!?!?!?! NO WAY!!!!!!

Grandma and Grandpa make Lefse for Christmas as well as Sewett pudding(sp?) (the stuff from beef fat). I love those thin sheets with a little butter and sugar. The store bought is never as thin and lite as the homemade. The pudding is still a little rich for me but I have a bowl every year just to make sure. They stopped buying the Lutefisk when I was very young so I don't have any memories of it.