• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

General Fishing Question

The Grebe

Not being an expert on anything of general importance, I thought that perhaps there might be someone in the FM audience that is....an expert on things in general and fishing in particular.

In your knowledgable opinion, do fish go through some kind of transitional thing between last open water and freeze up?

In the late fall, I get pike and walleyes out of the rivers

and it seems like they are moving in slow motion, yet as soon as the ice covers, you set the hook in one and they take off like a shot?

The late fall bite is really touchy, they mouth the live bait and you have to play with them, waiting to set the hook. In the winter it's, "Boom" hello!

Seems like the pan fish get tight jaws also and become hard to catch, but get the ice cover, start jiggling about 3:30- 4:00 and "Boom" hello!

On the other hand, (I have 4 fingers) there have been times in the past when it has been colder then a well diggers a$$, had to heave a few boulders onto the ice sheet to break it loose, to give me room to fish and I caught walleyes.

Do you think that the length of the day, sun position has anything to do with it? I know it does with fur priming up and the rut with deer?

Grebe, I think you're right. And here's another thing to ponder. Why is it that in the fall so many of us feel lazy and crave naps. Is it because we too at one time hibernated and we want to eumulate the chipmunks, raccoons, skunks and other critters that sleep through the winter?

I don't know for sure but IMO I think it is more stability than anything. November is the month of the greatest weather change throughout the year where the water can start out at 60 degrees and end the month at 32. I would think by 1st ice they have had a little time of stability and have adjusted so they are now ready to go again. Does this make any sense?

Yes, yes it does! I guess that if we knew for sure, everything about fishing and how everything reacted with everything else, we would never get skunked and fish populations would get pretty skinny? Thanks for the replies guys.