• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on bullet weight

Cooter

Shot my deer rifle yesterday to confirm it is still sighted in. Shot both 140 gr. Winchester ballistic tips and 150 gr Federal with Nosler Partition. The 140s hit an inch high at 75 yrds while the 150s were a half inch low at the same distance. I can't believe there was that much difference with just 10gr difference in bullet weights. Is that normal? I remember one year shooting 150gr core lokt instead of the 140s I usually shoot because they were out of stock. Don't remember any difference then. The rifle is Rem700Mtn in .280.

Here is the velocity info for the three rounds you mentioned. Hope this helps.

Winchester:

280 Remington, 140 Gr Ballistic Silertip

3040 @ muzzle, 2842 @ 100yds, 2653 @ 200yds

Federal:

280 Remington, 150 Gr Nosler Partion

2890 @ muzzle, 2690 @ 100yds, 2490 @ 200yds

Remington:

280 Remington, 150 Gr Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt

2890 @ muzzle, 2624 @ 100yds, 2373 @ 200yds

There may be more afoot that just different bullet weights.

You listed two different bullet types, which will each have a different ballistic coefficient.

Winchester more than likely is using a different powder than Remington. One may be a slower burning powder, and they may be different types, ie ball powder vs extruded.

This can all effect point of impacts to a certain degree.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good luck to ya if you got some hunting left to do. I'll let you know how the Ballistic Silvertips perform this year. They've done their job in the past as have the Core Lokts. Might go to the 139 gr SST's in the Hornady light mag. next year. Should just stick with the Corelokts but its so fun to dink around with ammo.

Tom - You're right, just don't have the funds at the moment. Am afraid it might be like bowhunting or muskie fishing - addictive and tough on the budget! By the way, because of your username I thought I'd let you know I witnessed an 18.5" crappie caught last year. Weighed 3.5 lbs. If that thing was deep fried and put on a plate and you told someone it was a crappie they'd of died of laughter. The mount turned out beautiful. Fish of several lifetimes.