• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scents to use this time of year and later?

Mr. B

Since this is the first year I am bow hunting it will be the first time that I will be hunting after the rut does any one have any opinions as to the best scent to use? Or should one even be using a scent at this time of year?

Any other tips for hunting later in the season would be great. Thanks

mr. B right now i would still use the does in esterus scents. although the rut is winding down, the bucks are still looking and checking scrapes. once they loose interest, i just go to a cover scent or nothing at all. del

Here in Northern Wisconsin, I believe the secondary rut is going to be a good one this year. This year I did not see many bucks behind does, or hear of many people seeing bucks tending does. Also, I seen a lot of does still with their fawns throughout the entire rut. So about the second week of Decemeber we should see more of these does come into estrous. Even though the bucks are run down and are going to concentrait on feeding and putting on fat reserves. When and if they come across a hot doe, they will be in pursuit. So, my word is to try to hunt around a major food source and lay down some scent trails with a good quality estrous scent. Me personally, I use James Valley scents and have good luck with their Wall Hanger, Full Rut, and during the post rut using Full Draw. I use these in the gel and find it more effective then liquid scents. Another choice I would go to if I did not have these scents are made by a company called Mrs Doe Pee, another quality scent company. Just experiment and you will find what works for you, just remember to use these scents with the wind being your friend to get that smell into the area the deer will be.

Thanks for all the info guys. So far I have not had any of the deer react to the scents that I have had out.

I have been seeing deer off my stand almost every time out. Saturday was the first time that the deer were not in range of my bow. I had five deer 2 does and 3 fawns between 50 and 30 yards for about 30 minutes on Saturday.

Still holding out for a mature buck. I have only seen two bucks off my stand but I am hoping with all the does that I am seeing I will see a buck during the second rut.