• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walls on a fish house

R_B

Question

Can you simply use siding or sheeting then foam and paneling for walls, no ply wood? A friend told me this might be the way to go but it doesn't seem like much. What have you used or seen for walls on fish houses?

I used 2x2 studs( ripped 2x4 in half) for walls. Then barn tin for the outside walls. But insted of having the ribs run up and down I ran them sideways. Then I isulated inside and then put that shiny white paneling for the inside.

Not quite sure what you mean?

Do you plan on using studs in the wall? If so, you can pretty much put whatever you want on each side. My house has got 2x2 studs, pole barn steel siding layed horizontally, pink rigid insulation in the stud cavities, and paneling on the inside and it is as solid as a rock!

By the sound of it, you might be describing a sandwich panel type of construction where you have no studs. Plywood or OSB on each side with foam in the middle. The entire panel is adhered together and they are stiff and light.

Something else I was thinking about was using nailbase insulation for the walls. Nailbase is typically used in commercial construction. Its basically 2" or so of rigid insulation with OSB adhered to one side. Again, it is stiff and light.

Dan-

? for you. Sounds like I've got the same construction as you. I'm not totally finished with the house yet but I've been noticing a lot of condensation on the inside of the pole barn steel. When I pull the pink rigid out of the stud cavities, there will be condensation on the steel. I think it has something to do with the house not being totalling finished and sealed up yet. I'm concerned but not too concerned.

Have you experienced any similar problems.

Ripped 2x4's are stronger than 2x2's too. They're about and extra 1/8" thicker on one side. I built mine the same way with ripped 2x4 construction but I put a plastic vapor barrier over my wooden shell prior to installing the steel over it. Keeps things very dry and protects against small leaks that can occur from screws not sealing through the steel. Highly recommend the vapor barrier.

Hey Hanson,

Ya I get the drip drip on the head sometimes. I was gonna use great stuff or some other kind of minimal expansion spray foam. But I decided if it got too air tite it wouldn't breathe. I'm definetly no carpenter by any means. I dont mind about the condensation it's really not that bad. When the fish house warms up the windows will get a little moisture and when it's really cold they frost up. I'm not too worried about the condensation. It all dries out in the off season. I don't plan on using it forever. I'll buld a new one in ten more years.

In hindsite, I wish I would have wrapped the exterior with Tyvek before putting the steel on. Its way too late now. I don't think I would have used a vapor barrier such as poly because of how sealed up the house would have been.

The reason water condenses on the back of the steel like that is it is the first cold surface the vapor comes into contact with as its 'evaporating' from the house.

I guess we'll see what happens this winter.

I am not sure whats cheaper anymore, but when i built mine i looked at the weight versus the cost and went with aluminum sheeting for the outside. Got 4x12 ft sheets and started on the bottom and laid them over the top. I got the sheets for $25 a piece. Its alot lighter than steel and our house is air tight except for the vents we put in each side. I can send pics if ya want.

Since the price of sheet steel is so high right now, I used plastic sheet. A company local to us make 1/2" thick sheets from recycled milk jugs. I know that there are other companies out there that do the same. Lighter than aluminum and lasts almost for ever. The downside is that it lets the light in. I solved this by painting the inside with black paint.

I just ordered 1/4" corrugated plastic that I am going to try on my new shack. Any thoughts on problems that I may run into? Seems to be very strong and light, should last forever. Not sure if it will get brittle in the cold but guy at the sign shop I ordered it from says that he has never seen a sign crack or break in the cold.

Kjgmh, if you don't mind, what did you have to pay for the plastic pannels? I've seen these used on a house before and they look very light, stiff, and insulating.

Thanks,

Gus