• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sway bars and towing

MIKE IN lINO III

Question

I was lucky enouph to purchase a 28' trailer. I plan on putting it on property up north but first I will be towing it to southern MN for deer hunting. My question is, Do

I really need sway bars? I drive a 2002 F250 diesel so I have enouph power and towing capability. I want to test run it on the highway before I tow it a long distance but I need to get a 1000lb receiver. I guess it's two questions. Does anyone know where I can pick up a receiver cheap. I only need to use it twice.

Thanks,

Mike

5 answers to this question

Mike, I don't think you will need much more with your truck, they are extremely heavy and tow very well.

You can buy a hitch at any Fleet Farm, Automotive store. They are actually not very expensive, just around $ 100 or little more for a heavy duty one.

I pulled a 29' to wyoming and back this summer without the bars and it was fine. I have a 3/4 ton Suburban. As the other post said, just watch for the wind gust when a truck passes.

I picked up a 10,000 SOLID steel receiver hitch at Mills fleet farm for around $50. Then I bought the changeable ball with a 1" diamater shaft (also 10,000 pound). It came with the 1 7/8 and 2" and I just bought the 2 5/16 add on ball that you can get for an extra $10. That way I use it for all my towing now and have all 3 sizes. The changeable balls were an additional $40 or so. I can't remember the brands but the balls were the kind that the pin pushes through the side of the ball. The receiver was something like a "Magna" or Magnum or something?

The other option would be to see if you have any friends with larger trailers that require the 2 5/16 ball and just borrow their hitch for the two times you need it. All bobcat or excavating equipment trailers as well as campers and such have those sizes.

Good luck and enjoy the low gas mileage!!

ccarlson

Thanks guys,

I went to Fleet Farm yesterday and bought a 10,000lb hitch. I had bought the 2 5/16 ball earlier thinkg that my current hitch will work but it is only a 600 lb tongue wt. Now I am all set with the hitches to pull anything I have.

I was a little worried about the semi's passing, I'll just keep an eye on'em.

Thanks,

Mike