• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Received video in mail - can I keep it??

BLACKJACK

I recently received a video in the mail from a popular bowhunting magazine. I didn't ask for it or send for it, the instuctions say to either pay for it or send it back in the box that they sent it in. Aside from the fact that I highly resent getting junk mail that I have to respond to, I destroyed the box in opening.

Bottom line, do I have to send it back if I didn't ask for it?

Do they or have your credit card info? If you are a subscriber to the magazine already they will probably just try and tack it on to your subscription cost. I say this because they clearly have your address and you may want to check your credit card statements as you may have already paid for the video. If they give you any problems end all ties immediately and let them know about your dissatisfaction. Good luck and don't pay if you didn't order.

I had this same problem with a popular fishing mag.It was not InFish however.

They sent me books and told me that I had to pay.I wrote back and told them i would not send it back nor would I pay for it.It was not my responsiblility to take it to the Post Office since I did not order it.

They sent me three threatening letters telling me they would send the matter to a collection agency.

Since my credit rating was pretty good I figured I could afford one bad mark.

Its been two years now and no collection agency has contacted me and they never reported me to a credit reporting company.

Tell them to go take a hike.

Its just a way to indimidate people into buying something they don't want.

No, you do not have to send it back. I've had this problem in the past and the post office assured me that this was a gift and if I didn't order/pay for it in advance, then it's mine to keep. Whenever I noticed something like this in the mail I would either not open it, or carefully open and return to sender. It's terrible marketing, then to come back and threaten to pay or else is wrong and they cannot do that.

I had the same problem with the North American Fishing Club. They kept sending me books wanting me to pay or send them back at my expense. When they started calling, I just played really dumb, explaining that I didnt order any books and that I didnt know what they were talking about. Needless to say, I have a nice little library now!! wink.gif

Talk to the post office. I think they will tell what everyone else above did, if you didn't order it, you don't need to pay for it.

If they are a pain, I would tell them one of two things. Give me a prepaid postage envelope or way to return it. You didn't order it, why pay return postage!

The other is to tell them you are contacting the Better Business Bureau, State Attorney Generals Office and the Postmaster General to complain. Get the full name of the collector and a full address and phone number of the company. They usually hang up about then. Don't mess with the supervisor, they are supervisors because they can play hardball best. Let the Postmaster, Attny General, etc. do the hard work.

If they touch your credit bureau, SUE! Being in banking, I know the rules on credit bureaus. You just can't put something out there. They would probably also need your social security number to access your credit bureau. You can also put a statement on your credit bureau disputing the information.

If the derogoratory information causes you to be declined for a loan or a job, you have an action against that party that placed the "false" information.

Do the right thing. Cancel your subscription to the offending magazine.

I thought I should chime in here; I am a mail carrier, and I have also had this happen to me (In-Fisherman). If you did not order it, you are under NO obligation to pay for it. Once you open the package, you must either get a merchandise return label from the company, or pay postage if you wish to return the item. Only UNOPENED items can be sent back as "refused" or "return to sender". Contact the company, and tell them you did not order the item, and you will either be keeping it, or you need a return label. This is what I did with In-Fish, and they told me to kep it.

I'd also consider canceling my subscription, or threaten to when you contact the company. They could easily do this again...

eyes317

An update the reply I recieved when I sent them a nasty email:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Ultimate Hunting Adventures.

We have put together an offer our subscribers may preview at no risk. You are under no obligation to participate in the program. I’d like to reassure you that any items you receive without requesting are yours to keep without obligation. You will not receive anything else without requesting it.

Your comments and those from subscribers, both complimentary and otherwise, are extremely important to us.

Please contact us if you have any further questions at blahblahblah.

---------

And I really like their magazine, so I'm not going to cancel my subscription. I just let them know how disapointed I was.

This is exactly why I cancelled all of my fishing magazine subscriptions.

There is so much good information on the net that I don't feel I need the magazines. If you stripped out all of the ads you would only have a few actual articles anyway.

If I really see a magazine issue I like I will just buy it at the store. I hate getting junk mail.