• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Collecting Blackeyed Susans, and how to keep?

riverbottoms

Years ago while living along the Mississippi river in the uppermidwest, I fished along side of an older fellow who was outfishing everyone around him. He was using what he called Blackeyed Susans, everyone else was using waxworms. Amazed with his fishing success, I asked him where I could also find some Blackeyed Susans for myself to use in the future. He told me to look in the fall alongside roadside ditches, fence lines, railroad right aways, weed patches. He said, the flowering weed looks like a clump yellow daisies when in bloom in late fall.Having located different patches of Blackeyed Susan weeds, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is the best time to harvest these hot panfish grubs? Also where on the plant are they located and should I remove them from the plant part where they are found? If so, what should I store them in, and at what temp. All replies would be greatly appreciated.

I've never heard of the Blackeyes susan grubs. However, In my youth I collected goldenrod grubs for icefishing. They work well and are a small round grub. You'll find them in goldrod patches. The stem will have a big round bulb on it. If it doesn't have a hole bored in it you'll be able to split it open and get the grub. Maybe the same grub also hit the blackeyed susan as well. You'll need a lot of them. Usually 2-3 on the hook at a time.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I believe you are talking about Goldenrod grubs and they can be found all over. Just go to any wildlife management area and look for the tall brown leafy stems with a large ball right in the stem. The grubs are located in that ball.

Goldenrod is definitely all over, especially on a little higher ground.

No, he is right about susans. Blackeyed susan grubs live in the stalk, very similar to a goldenrod grub. However, they don't develop the big ball that a goldenrod grub makes. Try later October to iceup, and look for stalks that have been chewed off and fallen over, or to the ground. what happens is the grub in the susan chews the stalk in half so it falls and gives them a shelter under the snow for the winter. Pick the fallen stalks - you can tell if they were chewed because the end of the stalk is convex in shape - very distinctive. Split the stalk and pick the grub(s). Stalks can sometimes have 2 or more grubs in them. I don't pick susans, they are harder to find by me, but I pick goldenrod grubs this time of year too. One other thing, when you find a pile of them - don't pick them all, leave some for "seed", otherwise you will decimate the patch and have no more grubs :-( Now - SHHHHH! :-)