• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catch and Release/Selective Harvest Poll...

Matt Johnson

I don't know if the size of the fish is getting smaller? Not personally anyways? Because a person does'nt get a bragging sized buck does'nt mean they are'nt out there!

You have to take into considerstion that alot of people fish the same waters, using the same baits, day after day after day...the big fish are'nt going to give themselves up to the mundane? They are still there, you have to hunt them.

Slot limits I can see, at least that gives the opportunity to keep some fish for the table, if you get into them, but I do believe that if the act of catching and keeping fish were made illegal, bowing only to catch and release, the fishing industry as we know it, would crumble.

I know that if fishing ever came to catch and release only, I for one would hang up my fishing gear and I'm sure there are alot more out there that would do the same.

I wish there was a way to possitively compare today's fisheries with "the good old days". Perhaps some lakes are "worse", but maybe some are just as good. I don't believe fishermen's memories are an accurate measuring tool. I appreciate all the DNR efforts, lake associations (as long as they don't go on algae killing sprees), and slot limits. Good points were made above, that allowing no harvest would bum out a lot of people.

When I attended DNR meeting a few years ago, one point seemed to be apparent. Making limits on pan fish and walleyes too small, might have the affect of people harvesting larger sized fish... I know people complain about all the different specific lake slot limits, etc., but I have no problem with them, since each lakes' habitats can be very different.

One thing I wish was polled: Ice fishing vs. open water. Again, based on my untrustworthy fishing memory, I believe ice fishing puts way more pressure on fish harvest than open water. Perhaps a truthful poll on habits ice fishing vs. open water fishing is needed. Seems to me many more people ice fish, and more of them are out to fill a bucket. Ain't saying whether this is good or bad. But I truly wish the DNR would have harvest numbers available from ice vs. open water fishing.

Hey Skinner,

I totally agree with you on this. That is one of the reasons that we have had a new walleye slot proposed for Vermilion for 2006. The DNR really has no idea on numbers, when it comes to winter harvest levels and the number of ice anglers is increasing every year.

Matt one thing I think about is if the fish is stocked for me to catch or needs to go back to reproduce. It seems to be easier for me to return fish if it's to keep nature on course. I don't really need to keep but one for the pan.

Good luck on your report.

Matt....I think you did a good job on this. And everyone who contributed to it gave good information. Lots of valid points have been made, but as one poster has suggested the idea that a poll is real accurate is in itself inaccurate. There is truth in that as well.

I know a bait shop where catch and relase and selective harvest get yacked up all the time, but for two years the owners mugshot sat in the entry on a buletin board holding a twenty-five fish limit of very nice river crappies. And the person he supposedly guided was doing likewise. How people want to appear is easy on the internet. But the proof is in the pudding, er...pictures. Things like this happen all the time and just re-enforces the idea that we all need to watch what we do as an example for others to follow. Some will never get it though.

If one really looks at the tenets behind each practice (C&R, Sel.Har) you'll find that the outcomes are quite close together.