• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice rod and reel recommendations

scottiecoach

I'm looking at getting one very nice rod and reel for walleyes (Thorne Bros), of 2 good rod and reel combos (1 for walleyes, and 1 for panfish). What do all of you great fisherman use? I'm looking at pros and cons for both options.

Thanks for the help.

If you're looking for a Thorne Bros rod...

For walleyes I would go with the Thorne Bros Walleye Sweetheart with a Tica Cetus SS500. The Walleye Sweetheart is very well balanced to fish a variety of presentations. The action is fast but still supplies enough backbone and poise to handle whatever size walleye that decides to join the party.

For panfish I would go with the Thorne Bros Panfish Sweetheart with a Tica Cetus SS500. The Panfish Sweetheart is sensitive and fast. Great for both crappies and bluegills.

The Tica Cetus SS500 is a very smooth reel with an excellent drag system.

If you are looking for combos then check out the JR's Tackle line of ice rods/reels. Or else the St. Croix Premiers are nice, same with the Berkley Genz Rods. Sislar makes a variety of nice ice reels, as does Quantum, Abu Garcia, Diawa...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

If you are going after walleyes with a Thorne Bros. I would recommend their sweet heart walleye rod. I have 2 of these in the 28" version and they are the best rod I have ever used well worth the price. I have a Tica Cetus 500 reel on all of my throne bros rod which is now at 5. They are really nice little reels at a reasonable price. As far as rod and reel combo's I really am not a good one to recommend anything because I always put together my own combos. I used to find that you could usually get a good rod but then a crappy reel in a combo or the other way around so I just started to buy them individually. I use all Thorne Bros and Genz rods. The like I said I use 5 tica cetus 500 reels, one shimano 500 sedona, I have a couple other cheaper reels on a couple of my genz rods. Back when I used to buy combo's though I use to like Shake spears, and another good little cheap set up was the Berkeley Lightning rod. I have two buddies that bought lightning rods combos years ago and those rods to this day are still one of their favorites. A little better quality combo can be found in a St. Croix. All of these combos usually come in a ultra light version and then a medium or medium light. I use the medium and medium light for walleyes and the ultra light for most pan fishing. The only bad thing that I am going to say about Thorne Bros Rods is they are addicting. One you buy one you will get more. I had one at the start of last year and now I am to 5 and growing. Good luck with your decision there are plenty of options out there.

I see Matt posted at the same time as me. But it looks like we are in agreement on this one.

The TB rods are very very nice.

For a more inexpensive rod as a back up, I like the First Ice brand that Gander Mtn sells. A friend from Wisconsin turned me on to them a few winters ago. They have a very good rod blank (YAD, I think), and will not break the bank.

They will probably run about 20 bucks now, but when they close out the ice fishing stuff in the spring, I have picked them up for as little as 7 shims.

I have a couple of Genz rods also, but have found I slightly prefer the First Ice units.

For reels, I like the small Silstar units.

Quote:

I'm looking at getting one very nice rod and reel.

You said very nice, so I'll answer with Thorne Bros. also.

Both of these guys have great advice. No doubt in my mind about a Thorne Bros rod! Spend good money on a reel too. I just picked up my first Tica reel a few weeks ago. I'm definitely impressed and can't wait to try it out soon. Otherwise my other reels are Shimano Spirex. I'm not sure if you can find those anymore. I can say I like the Tica over the Spirex because of the instant anti-reverse and the larger, single paddle handle.

I've used St. Croix ice fishing rods and think they're a great rod for the price. Lately I've begun to stick with Shimano reels, although I haven't tried the Tica reels some of the others talk about. My favorite rod is an older TB made from a St. Croix blank.

Guys the TB rods are great....I've got, um.....lets see... 4 of them. BUT The Genz rods are nice too. I have 3 or 4 of them. They are much more affordable than the TB rods and the action on them is great!

If you are looking for a decent combo, go with a good smaller summer reel (Sedona 500 or a Tica (which ever model you like best) with a Genz rod. You won't be disappointed!!

That combo would run you probably $50-60 compared to a TB and reel combo- those will put you in the $75-100 class!

I'm very big on the Tiny 20 reels. I picked up a piece of fishing line floating in my hole about ten years ago on Star Lake. I kept pulling and the line kept coming, there was a graphite rod and a Tiny 20 reel on it, loaded with Spiderwire, I believe it was. I took it home, opened it up. It was dry, but I relubed it, and still use it every winter. I've since bought five more and never had any problems with them. At 14-17 bucks, I don't think there's a better deal out there. They have actually gotten cheaper the last few years. I landed a 12 lb. pike on LOTW with one of my Tiny 20's with 4 lb. trilene ice line. The drag worked perfectly. I'm sold, in case you can't tell!

If $ isnt a worry order all the Thorne Bro's you need. I love my Ticas and me Sedona 500's are still going strong after many years. I have had a Tica go bad but not a Sedona. My Sedonas however get stiff if not takin in at night but the Ticas are super smooth even when cold. The new Sedona 750 will be on some of my bigger ice rods this year.

If you want to be able to get several rods for the price of a TB then get either Genz Rods or St.Croix. I really like the Premiers for the $. Yads and Frabils are also decent for the $.

Most important is that you get what works best for the way you fish. I use a lot of my heavier walleye rods as Laker rods and the Genz series has a few I can choose from as does St.Croix. I do have a TB rod that is 42" long and a heavy action that I use for DEEP Big Lakers and I love it. Thanks BDR!

Without a doubt TB makes the best retail rods out there.

Rods By Engel is also a great option if you want a custom 1 of a kind rod. I love mine.