• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunted upper pool 5 this morning, saw 2 teal and 3 mallards, numbers of high divers moving through, but we hunt the woods. Heard very little shooting. We did not fire a shot until we jumped a pond and downed 3 drakes and a hen. What is going on here confused.gif I've had bad days in mid-october but this is ridiculous. I decided in september that I'd bowhunt until late October, then duck hunt when the huntings good, shoulda went fishin! Why are there no ducksconfused.gif Even Riecks lake and the closed area had very few ducks confused.gif. Maybe next weekend!

This has been the slowest duck season I have had in the four years I have been hunting in MN. I am getting ready to start shooting coots. I hunted both days this weekend and got one nice drake wood duck. I keep saying next weekend will be better. Maybe next weekend WILL be better.

I could have had many good days if I started shooting more coots. They fly so nice and slow, I may not miss as often as I do when a real duck comes by. I have taken two on purpose this year and I hate to admit it but I did not think they were too bad on the table. No one has ever said I had good taste and the wife will not eat my cooking.

Alright,

Lets not be promoting wanton waste here, even if it just a joke.

Bottom line is we need Canada to get nailed with a hard freeze and some heavy snows. talked to a guy in Winnipeg yesterday and he said the skies were black with geese and ducks. They have plenty of water and plenty of food so unless there's something to push them, they are not going anywhere.

It's looking like a full season this year and the way it looks, we are going to need it.

I have to agree with you guys on it being slow. No doubt about that. I was up hunting NW Minnesota this last weekend and saw a lot more ducks than the previous weekend. Mallards are moving, the ringbills are moving, and saw lots of geese moving.

The lake/pond we were hunting receives little pressure if any. Last weekend there was a good couple hundred divers sitting on it and we chose to hunt a neighboring pothole and did alright. My dad and brother finally hunted this lake Saturday morning and limited out on Bluebills & Ringbills rather quickly. Dad & I went back out Sunday night and got some action but not like they had Saturday morning. I hit this same lake alone Monday morning and the birds were definitely cautious about coming in, but I saw plenty of high flying flocks of divers & mallards.

They are starting to move but Tom is right, we need some cold weather and a hard freeze to push them. Normally, we've been breaking ice at this time of year to hunt ducks but there has been no ice yet. There are also acres of flooded fields up north now from all the rain that has fallen lately. Water is plentiful and the temps are moderate so why would they leave??

Unfortunately for me, duck hunting is over since I shift into deer hunting mode for the next 3 weekends. Gonna have to wait until next year.

Hunted upper 5 again this morning. Sloughs are freezing over. We shot 5 drake mallards, 2 drake black-ducks and a drake woodie for three of us. Not great but better than it has been. Not much flying after sun-up and very few divers moving.