• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best wierdest deer hunting stories.....

I love deer hunting stories and just want to hear what some of your better ones whether they be great bucks, stupid mistakes, funny stuff, etc. One of mine was when I was about 19ish hunting back in the mid 80's. I heard a "huge buck" coming through the woods towards me. My heart was about exploding out of my chest. Suddenly I see two very long and big legs followed by 2 more. I'm like "what the..?" when a big bull moose steps out in front of me no more than 15 yards away! He stood there for a while looking around and then sauntered off. An experience I'll never forget! I've got more but I'll wait until later to post those. Lets hear em guys and gals!

~piker

Last years deer hunt. When me and my dad went to the stands the thermometer in his truck sait it was -14 degrees. We have enclosed deer stands so we use heeters. Well when i got to my deer stand my bottle of propane was not in my stand. (turnes out is was in the brush behind it so no one would steel it) so about 9:30 i headed to my dads stand to see if i could take his truck to camp to get a bottle. Just as i am comming up to his feild i hear a gun shot in his stand. I stood there for a few seconds and headed to his stand. just as i get to the feild opening i saw some movement in the woods. i stoped and knelt down. about a second and a half later my dad shot again. I saw my dad and little bro getting out of the stand so i went into the feild. my dad had shot at a doe but missed her and a small spike came out of the woods right behind her. so he shot him. turnes out the buck ran into the trees and smacked head first into a big tree and broke BOTH of his hornes clean off. since there was snow we couldnt find them.

On to the next day. I shot a 8 point on the second day of season. about a month before season we had seen twin 8 pointers in my feild. well my dad had been seing alot of does so he said maybe his twin will come out. so we traded stands. well he was right his twin did come out. but in the wrong stand. i had to pee so i stood up and started to pee in my bottle. just as i sat down, I looked over and saw the 8 point standing there staring at me. well it didnt take him long to decide that something was not right. he took off running.

Now if i am so unlucky to miss a deer while i was peeing, why not do it with my pants at my ankles. I REALLY had to go. so i walked in the woods so i could still barely see my feild i was hunting in. just as i reach for the tp i looked over and see a 4 point running on the edge of my feild. I couldnt get a shot but got to stand and watch him zig-zag in the feild.

about ten years ago my uncle put out his deer blind (a portable ice house) the night before hunting. well he wanted it to be warm when he got there in the morning so he left the heater on, on low. Well when we were heading out to the stand the next morning we saw a stange light coming from the area of his blind. Well his stand sure was warm when he got there, seems the heater fell over some time in the night a burnt the whole fish house to the ground. He still gets grief for that to this day. brought tears to all of our eyes , not for sadness but because we were all laughing soo hard.

OK I'll give you a couple more. Last year I'm in my stand and I see what looks like a basket 8 pointer walking broadside to me. I shoot he runs about 40 yards and falls back in the brush. Well I walk up and find him (not hard at all because of the snow and blood trail). He's now lying on his other side. I see a 2 pronged fork horn antler looking back at me. I'm like "what the ....?" Well his head is half under the snow. I lift it by the fork and the other side is a nicely formed 4 points! That was the side that I saw. The other side was just a fork. My first ever "fork six"!

Another time a few years ago I had a 6 pointer come out about 100+ yards from my stand. I shoot. He falls and rolls over, then gets up and is walking around like he is confused. I shoot again and drop him. Well I get down walk over to him and again lift his head out of the snow when what to my wondering eyes appear? A one antlered deer. I had shot the other off on the first shot! Made for interesting fodder back at the camp!

~piker

In 97 I was hunting near a town called Henning which is in Ottertail county. I shot a small doe the first evening of second weekend and while tracking her (in the snow) noticed a few spots of blue snow. It looked like someone poured winsheild washer fluid in the snow. We stopped at a bar that night and I found out 2 of the other members of our party had seen the same thing. The deer were [PoorWordUsage]ing blue!! We were really shocked when a couple other hunters in the bar let us know they saw the same thing!! First and last time I ever saw bright blue deer [PoorWordUsage]!!

Last year in Wisconson I took my first deer. My grandpa and I were sitting in a little hunting shack at the edge of a 22 acre field. I left my 30-30 in the corner and went to talk to grandpa. 20 minutes went by and it was now 11:00. We were just going to leave to go eat our thanksgiving dinner.My grandpa went in the bushes to go #1.At the time I had his 308. All of a sudden my grandpa yells Jon deer field. I looked and there were four deer running across the field. I picked out the biggest one and started blazing. My grandpa somehow got my 30-30 and had a 5 point buck on the ground in seconds. I hit a big doe 4 times from 120-180 yards at a dead run. Her and 2 fawns went down a big gravel pit. I gave her 2 finishing shots. That was my first deer and my grandpa got his 61`st. We were as happy as could be.

Quote:

I picked out the biggest one and started blazing.

I'm not trying to judge, but most would consider this reckless and unethical. It shouldn't take 6 shots to kill a deer. Its not like a video game at the arcade. You don't get points for a leg shot or gut shot.

Congrats on your kill deer slayer.......

I'll try to do this story justice.

It all started last year opening day it was 17 below zero and there was snow on the ground, I know I didnt last long on the stand that morning. I returned to the cabin about 10:30 to find "mark", one of my buddies sitting in front of the fire watching TV in his underwear. Not what I expected to find opening day of the deer season. While walking down the hall I noticed the dryer going with a full load of clothes in it. I asked "mark" why he was drying his clothes, he said "just trying to warm them up before I go out again". I never gave it another thought...

Well this fall we were up 4-wheeling, and after a few beers(after being done riding for the day) as Paul Harvey would say we "heard the rest of the story". "Mark" was in his stand freezing, as we all were, when he got the urge to go to the bathroom - and not the kind you can easily take care of in the woods - if you know what I mean. We have all been there, havent we? He left his stand and he searched for the perfect log not to small and not to big. He then prepared himself for the shock of bareing it all in -17 degree weather. All went as planned, but without T.P. he began to think of asking his underwear to make the ultimate sacrifice. Just as he was preparing to cut off his fruit of the looms the log snaped in two launching him and his clothes into a world that was both cold as snow and warm as.. well you know what he said. There was no turning back now he was in too deep and was beaten by the very woods he went out to conquer. He did the only thing a beaten man could do, he pulled up his pants, waddeled to the truck and went back to the cabin.

Back at the cabin he showered, washed his clothes and made up lies, as to why he was doing laundry instead of deer hunting. I almost lost it my self as he told the story.

good luck, be safe

This one is kind of "spooky" wierd. Ever since I started deer hunnting I had this dream the week before the opener that a big buck walks out and I'm not strong enough to pull the trigger on my gun. I yank and jerk and pull, and when it finally shoots, the bullet goes slow-motion towards the big guy and bounces off--just like a cartoon.

Fast forward to 1996: A freezing rain and 25 mph winds has made the day miserable. I jump down from my stand and when I hit the ground I turn to see a fawn running right at me. I let it go, but settle in on the big doe right behind. When I figure I've got a good shot I pull the trigger--nothing. I check to see my safety is off--and it is--and pull back up. She is still trotting right at me and fills the entire scope. Pull the trigger--nothing. I look up from my gun and the doe is about 20 feet away and veers off to my left. Now I am thinking "Why are those deer running AT me?" I look off into some thick little balsams and there is a huge bodied deer. I can't see the headgear, but he is definitely BIG. I settle in and find an opening. When he gets there I grunt at him. He stops. I pull the trigger and no shot. My dream is coming true. He keeps tracking the doe and fawn in a direction that will take them past another stand I have. . .

I run out to the road. Unload my gun. Put it under my jacket to warm things up. Load up. BANG! I'm back in business and hot on the track.

After sitting until 4:15, I've seen no deer and am feeling pretty disgusted. I decide to bunch it and start back to the truck. Just before I hit the logging road I see legs. It looks like the deer has his head in a windfall that is between me and him. WAIT! The windfall is on his head! 12 beautiful symmetrical points. The wind is perfect--from him to me. He sees me but the rain/sleet and wind make it tough to see very far. I waddle over to the windfall to use for a rest and take aim. He is about 50 yards standing directly facing me--not a perfect position, but at 50 yards with a rest and a chest that big it is definitely a safe shot. Safety off, big breath, SQUEEZE it off--NO WAY. The trigger won't budge. I pull and tug, but nothing doing. I drop down and start taking the shells out. The buck starts walking towards me--curious as to what is going on under that tree. I reload, breathe a couple of times on the action, pull up--he's 30 yards now and broadside. You know it didn't shoot, don't you? The buck jumps off into some thick brush and I watch him walking away. I continue my trek to the truck.

Back at the truck, I just had to know. I push the safe off, point at the ground about 25 yards out and pull the trigger. I'll never forget seeing the blaze come out of my barrel as sunset gave way to darkness that cold November day.

Sorry for the long story, but the strangest part of the whole story is this: Since that day, I've never had that awful dream before deer season.

I always dreamed of getting a buck while walking to/from stand. Well a few years ago I'm walking back to the cabin for lunch and a fork horn jumps up in front on me and runs to the right. I raised then lowered my gun since I would not try to shoot him full out running in the woods. As soon as I lowered the gun he slowed to a trot. I raised again, found the hot spot in the scope and squeezed. He ran about 50 yards then died. Hit right were I aimed in the lungs. That was exciting.

As a young kid I was always told that sometimes if you let a doe go by, a buck will be following behind her. Well, as a kid you don't believe what you're told and you usually shoot the first deer you see, i.e. the Doe. This went on for many years, and the Does that I did let go, never had a buck following. Well about 4 years ago when I was 24, still a kid, I made a decision that I was going for a nice buck. I had shot 10-15 deer by then but never anything bigger than a 6-pointer, so this was the year! It was the Sunday of opener and I hadn't seen anything yet, when out of nowhere I catch a glimpse of brown moving towards me just outside of my foward shooting lane about 50 yards away. after about 10 minutes they show themselves, it's two does walking slowly (eating along the way) towards me. They get about 10 yards away, right in front of me and stop. They know I'm there! They look up....snort.....stomp front foot....flicker tail. They know something is up. They are looking right at me. They're so close that I'm afraid to blink and scare them off. I didn't plan on shooting them, but i didn't want to scare them and have them alert the whole woods to my presence. This goes on for what seems like 20 minutes. Finally, they turn around and slowly walk back the way they came. They get to the end of my shooting lane, take a left, and start circling around me. They didn't go far, I could see them walking to my left now. All they were doing was taking a different route to their desired location. I could see them the whole time, they're "new" route wasn't much different the their intended route. Maybe 75 yards further north. I guess they thought this was far enough and didn't feel too threatened by me, or at least didn't believe I was there, even though they were looking right at me. Well, as I'm enjoying watching these deer to my North I happen to catch just a flash of movement back to my front shooting lane where the does had originally come down. I slowly turn and raise my gun to get a look to see if it is another doe following them. Nope, this one's got horns, nice horns! It's thick woods, and the adrenaline just shot through my body making me a little shaky/panicky. I decide I need to shoot, and quick! As soon as I made that decision, I saw brown in my scope. I didn't know if it was head, shoulder, butt, or what have you, but I pulled the trigger anyway. Keep in mind, he was about 100 yards away, in thick woods, and I only had a sliver to shoot through to hit this guy. I shot................I hear nothing nor do I see anything. Did I miss, Did I hit him, was it even the Buck i just caught a glimpse of, or did I just shoot a Doe, (don't worry, I had a doe tag just in case). I wait 20 minutes or so and walk to the area where I think he was. Sure enough, a nice big 8 pointer shot right through the heart. He fell where he stood! It helps to have a little luck and a lot of patience. This whole event took about an hour, from when the does first started walking to me till when I pulled the trigger. If I had scared the does, or even shot one, I would have never gotten this nice 8 pointer. That kill I consider to be one of my finest hunting moments. One in which I had to use all of the skills passed on to me by my father.

In 2000 while hunting in Wisconsin(where I mostly hunt cause of family and cabin is there)I was hunting on our river. My cousin was a few bends down from me and both of us were on some good trails. About 10 or so I hear a shot come from his direction. And about 30 mins later I see him paddeling up to me with a decent size buck. Well I guess he forgot his knife and needed me to gut it out(he was 14 at the time). Well I pull the deer out of the canoe and start gutting out the deer. While reaching up for the lungs and heart I looked up and on the opposite side of the river a nice 10 pointer was watching me. Blood, guts and all I pull up and drop the 10 pointer in its tracks. And the weird part is....the next year I was gutting out another buck in the same spot and saw another buck....but couldnt get the shot off. Its just amazing how deer are around at the strangest times.

It was about 2 years ago when i was about 11 It was opening morning.About 8:00 I see somthing way off in the distance across a vally and up a hill and I said to my dad "I think I see a deer" and he say"were" so I pointed it out and right when put he the binoculers up it disapears into the pines

So I was like o great there it goes never to be seen again yea well little did I know that it would come back.So about ten minutes later I see another deer it's a spike buck and it's only about 30 yards away folowing a popular deer trail so my dad pulls up rest the gun on the edge of the stand and All I heard was "click" so after jacks that shell out loads another one and again "click" another misfire and all the while the deer is watching us just sitting there watching us so he gets the third shell into the chamber of the 30-06 and kablam that deer was stone dead. SO I'm guessing he wasnt the dominate buck in the area.

Last years muzzleloading season was my first, after many years hunting the regular rifle season. Was out with my dad, each of us with an extra management permit(4 total tags between us). Anyway, up in the stand, and here come two deer, slowly feeding their way up to me. Bigger of the two gets close enough for a shot, and blam, smokescreen, and I think I've got one down. I'm so excited with this new way to hunt, I almost forgot about the other deer. Well, it ran away, then started to circle back in towards me again. I'm all excited, trying to reload my muzzleloader, and here comes the second deer - I gotta shoot!! I put the sights on the shoulder, pull the trigger, and, poof. What the?!?!? Turns out I'd forgotten to push my slug/sabot all the way down to the bottom of my barrel. I'd started the bullet, but didn't perform the last, necessary step of seating the bullet. I almost expected to see a string with a cork hanging from barrel with the sound it made. In any case, that one got away.

Laugh? Holy cow I about fell out of the tree. But, I had a deer and I shot it with my muzzleloader. I'm hooked on blackpowder now, brother!

last year it was colder than a witches tata as everyone remembers. i was sitting in my stand and about 9 am i see my buddy walking threw the woods. my toes were getting tingly so i start walking with him. we head over to my uncle's stand and he's no where to be see so we head back. when i get in my stand i decide to crack open a pop. i look around, crack it open, on my first sip, can to my lips, a big 8 pointer is walking about 50 yards from me. set down my pop, pick up my gun, drop it. I get down to go look at her and it was in between me and where my buddy was sitting. i get there and all of the sudden, BANG! He drops a doe about 70 yeards from me. I guess it was just the perfect distance walk. We got back in perfect timing.

Another one if you have time.

Another buddy of mine deer hunting ended up tracking a deer. He got a ways and decided to take a break, set his gun down and decided to have a smoke. The deer he was tracking got up and took off, no shot. Kept tracking her and had to take a [PoorWordUsage]. Put his gun down again and began to relieve himself. The deer he was tracking got up again and guess what, no shot. He finally did catch up to her again and got but talk about bad timing. That's just another negative about smoking again. Good luck everyone!!

Train

Some years ago a member of our party shot a 8pt buck in his favorite area to hunt. (Public land) We don't go into another members favorite location without permission. Two days later he told two of us we could go try his area for the afternoon. The two of use were still hunting about 300 yards apart. About 4pm I shot a 8pt buck. About 20 seconds after that the other guy shots another 8pt buck. He thought I had missed the deer as the one he shot came from my direction. The guy who let us go in there said he would have never done it if he thought that would happen.

Story #1 A friend was hunting Aitkin Co. on the edge of a hayfield. He built rifles and was a great shot. A young buck appeared on the far side(aprox.120 yards) He shot once and it walked 3 steps and stopped. He methodicaly fired four more shots and it just stood there. He reloaded and started walking toward it. When he got to it, he found it had died on the first shot and it was leaning against a tree. All five shots could be covered with your fist.

#2- When my second son was 16, I took him along to Wyoming. He had gotten an 8 pointer in Minn. a few days before. We each had two Wy. tags to fill so I let him have the first two shots the first day and put one of my tags on one. The second evening I put him on my stand by the river and went downstream a ways. I heard a shot and watched him get up and walk about four steps. Then he walked backwards and sat down. A minute later he fired again and waved at me. When I got there he told me that a deer had come down the ridge on the other side of the river and he shot it at 60 yards. When he got up, he saw another deer coming so he sat back down. The second deer walked up to the dead one, sniffed it, and contined down the trail. Travis said that one was too dumb to live and reproduce, so he took it out of the gene pool. The kid got four deer with five shots that year. We waded across the river(cooooold) and as we were gutting the two deer, it started to snow. Suddenly, we had 7 or 8 deer on all sides watching us from the between the snowflakes. Deer all around us at rock-throwing distance and our tags are filled and our rifles unloaded. A memorable hunt and I never fired a shot.

Couple of years ago while hunting the Caledonia area I downed my best buck as of yet.

I was set up on the side of one of many hillsides, right near the end of the hillside where it curves and goes into a draw. The slope was so steep that all I had to do to get into my stand was walk up the hill a little and step onto my stand. Instantly I'm 5'in the air.

I'm watching the hillside when I see movement over my left shoulder, a goup of 6-8 does where standing there watching me. I raise my shotgun and proceeded to spook them. They all take off running down the hill and across the flats to the next hillside. Thinking that I ruined my chances I sat there and wondered what could have been. Not 5 minutes later I see more movement from the same area. Two sets of legs are slowly making there way my direction. the first deer was a young 4 point buck, eating his way towards me, the other deer stayed back aways behind a dead fall so I couldn't get a good look at it. It moved enough for me to see it had a rather large rack. Pretty soon the 4 point was right in front of me about 25 yds up the hill. I wanted to wait for the bigger buck to come my way so I let the first one pass. The larger buck came down the same trail as the 4 point, as soon as he was nice and broadside to me I slowly raised my gun and dropped him on the spot. The 4 point ran around the draw and then circled back not knowing what happen. Now he is standing 40 yds from me broadside. I didn't know if my hunting buddy had shot a deer so I had to let him go. Turns out that I shot nice 9 point. I should also add that the year before my buddy shot a nice 6 point out of the same stand. Too bad we can;t hunt that area anymore.

Mike

Where do I start is the hard part.

A few years back while bow hunting. I had a spike come in and was broadside at 10yrds. Fire and a miss, it jumps a little, takes two steps and start feeding again. I nock an arrow, aim fire, another miss. It jumps and runs to about 30yrds out still broadside, again aim, fire and miss it runs into the woods. At this point I'm darn near jumping out of my stand and question my shooting skills. "Which up till now I considered myself pretty good" So I sat back down trying to grasp at what just happened and the spike comes trotting slowly back towards me. So with my last arrow "Quiver only holds 4" nock, aim and whistle. He stops at about 25yrds, I fire. It jumps, takes 4 steps and falls. I got him in both lungs and top of the heart.

Now that I think about it, we need more stupid deer like that in the woods and I should've let him live. Never before or ever again might I get 4 shots off at a deer.

Good luck everyone

About 3 years ago we had one of the new guys(13 yrs old) up hunting on 2nd weekend on private land. We were walking through the oaks which is nice and open you can see about 50yds in some spots.As we are walking through he sees a deer bedded down about 40 yds out. He says to us in a hunting whisper. I think I see a deer sleeping over there. so we let the young one walk up about 10 more yards to take a shot. He shoots and the deer does not move. He turns to us and gives us this goofy look like what just happened why did it not move. The look was priceless. We all start to walk up to the deer and he thinks he has shot his first deer.... As we get closer he gets more and more excited you can just see him getting prouder and prouder as we slowly work our way closer. Finally we are right on top of the deer and something does not look right to him it is laying there with its eyes closed and no blood. the new guy stands there and slowly touches the rifle to the deer and it does not move. so he gets ready to turn it and gut it out when Finally it hits him the deer was already dead the critters had started to take care of the gutting job for him. He was quite suprised but the rest of us had figured out a little quicker than he did and had the laugh of a lifetime from the look on his face when he put it all together. To this day his first deer has always been known as the Sleeper.

Now for my story ....

I was somewhere around my 3rd or 4 th deer that i was sitiing in my stand and i see a deer walking up and it has one antler right about three inches long had a doe permit so i figured i will take it nothing special about the shot 30 yds and i wait it out for 10 minutes or so Climb down pull my knife out ready to grab the Buck stuff and the thing has got an inny instead of an outy Good thing no one was around cause i can image the look on my face !!! Had to get my hunting buddies to come over before i gutted just to make sure i was not crazy and they would believe me