• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Because We Live Here

united jigsticker

I don't know why, and I'm not about to try and answer it. It happens every year, and more times then not, at the most in-opportune time.

I'm talking about sudden heat waves.

You know, like today (Friday), where it's suddenly 75 degrees, and we're merely days away from the month of Turkey Day, which for most of us, marks the 1st trip of the 1st ice season in most years.

75 degrees!!! Wow!

Now I'm not going to complain too hard. After all, it could be worse.

Like last year, when the lake had about an inch and a half of ice on it, and I thought, "Hey Jeff, I'll be fishing within' days, if not hours, with the ice being as thick as it is right now."

Yep. I knew I shouldn't have thought that. After all, my thoughts control the weather.

I knew 3 days later, as I was looking at white caps rolling across a wide open lake, the very same lake that was ice covered and smooth just days ago, that I never should have considered being able to ice fish.

I can boat fish again, but who really wants that? I had all summer for that, and I want to be able to drill a hole and stay on fish. Not throw a marker, back troll, get wet, and try and count my jig down to the school.

I want to see it, right under my feet, on the screen of my flasher.

I want to ice fish, dawg-gone-it!

Well, my wish came true, but it was some 2 and 1/2 weeks later. I mean, what kind of tease is that?

So this year, I know better. I'm gonna wash and wax the boat everyday until we are ice fishing. I just know it will work.

.....Hey, I just got back from watching the news, and look at that...It's gonna snow next week. I guess just talking about washing the boat helped.

You can thank me after you ice your first slab...

Good luck this winter folks!!!!

So, if i don't put snow tires on the truck, don't fix the snowblower, leave the lawn mower out side and don't winterize the boat we will have a winter.

To guarantee a winter I will not tune-up the auger, respool my line, check the ice house for holes and will not think about ice fishing.

Let's see if it works.

70 out here in CT yesterday. Been thinking a lot about ice lately too. I took a drive out to the hills that freeze first to do a little trout fishing. The leaves are down and the brookies were in their spawning colors... It wont be long now grin.gif

10-31-04brookie5a.jpg