• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pheasant hunting in SW

I have some relatives that live SW of Willmar. I was just wondering what the hunting like down in that area? I have never hunted Pheasant before and would like to give it a try. I have a Lab I use for grouse that would be fun to try out. Any reports from the area.

Plenty of birds around Kandi Co. Conditions are tough, wet and behind on crop harvest. If the relatives can put you on private you may fair better, harvest is still the issue public or private.

Drive west into Big Stone or Lac qui Parle counties better harvest to date less rain and much larger selection of public hunting areas. Warm days lighter cover (runners)cold days heavy cover (tight sitters) try to hunt in areas that have been harvested or are in process. With public many guys like the big ones but hitting 3 or 4 small overlooked WMA's & WPA's can make for a great hunt. Use the wind and stay with the dog. You should be able to find birds in either area, out west you may find a little more elbow room. Thanksgiving or Christmas would be the time frame to pay a visit and really get into some birds.

Thinking about chasing some Grouse this weekend any advice for a beginner - cover-food ect. Looking south of Akley. Badoura, FootHills, Huntersville or Lyons state forest any advice is greatly appreaciated.

Good Luck.

Casting, my family has land on the edge of Badora, S. of Akeley. I have been up a couple times grousing. It has not been good in the Pines at all. I have been thinking of hitting the foothills next time I go up that way. After deer season.