• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Backwaters bite...

CrappieJohn

The backwaters of the Miss.River continue to cough up some nice fish. I brought home my supper of five crappies and four sunfish....crappies all at or over 11 and the sunnies were weeded out to keep only those at about 8 1/2, but several were taken that would easily have hit 9-9 1/2. Small hair jigs and plastic is still producing the best fish, but as fall rolls in the smaller fish are really beginning to make a show.

The powerlines, for those with a canoe or small boat, are really starting to put out some big crappies....not many at a time, but enough to capture the attention of a couple persons I spoke with today. They had ten apiece in a net and probably had three meals each when cleaned. Most of the fish were in the 14 inch range. Both of the rods I saw had a white jighead on them, but what they were dressing the jig with was never really discussed. I'm thinking early ice is going to be stellar.

I've heard of backwater bites, through the ice, on the lower Mississippi, for panfish and large Northerns, fishing them in about 2-3 feet of water, something like that? I bet exploring the back areas for open water Crappies is fun! There are also some good sunnies down there from what I've heard?

I have thought of giving it a whirl, but that is as far as I've gotten on it. I can go south for trout and have no problem, I love the Whitewater area, but going for panfish,

General Shields Lake is as far south as I have made it.

Some of the reported pike were huge...15-20 pounds. That seems like it would take some getting used to, fishing through the ice in 2-3 feet of water?

I did it once on a lake that was freezing out, a lake called Pomroy, a little east of Mille Lacs. We were jerking sunnies and an occassional bass out of water, maybe

a foot or so deep, after the bottom of the ice...I was'nt to thrilled with that?

I tried to replicate the open back water bite on a couple of other rivers I've fished in the past, without much luck? I figured that if it worked on the lower Miss., it would work elsewhere also...probably does, I probably just missed the bite?

Hey Daryl.....These waters are precious! In many of these areas we are taking lots of quality fish from less than five feet of water, fishing only two feet deep. And yes, those toothies are to be found here as well. 15 to 20 pounds is NOT out of the question right now. Like all fish at this time of year, the northerns too have the feedbag on and actively follow the crappie and sunfish schools as they move thru the backwaters. Fishing with the crappie rod in one hand and soaking a sucker minnow on heavier equipment is always an option that seems to produce some good action from tooth-bearers, including walleyes! Not often do the waldos grace us, but I've had it occur more than once.

One of the key tricks to the crappies and panfish is to understand that they are on the move. I might catch only some so-so fish in one spot one day, but that doesn't mean that I will not go right back to it on another. Doing so has placed some mighty large fish on my list of credits. The area is so full of fish and spots to look for them that a boat is really not needed to be greatly successful. Being willing to move from spot to spot is essential though.

If you can tear yourself away tomorrow, Jimmy Burns (Mississippi River 2-11 forum), Rick, Corey Bechtold (this forum), myself and very possibly Down To Earth (Rochester forum are going to do a number in the backwaters tomorrow most likely starting in West Newton. You should join us....for that matter, any one who wants to join us would be welcome. You can drop me a mail if you are interested and I can get you some darned good directions!

CT.... Thanks for the invite, alas, I have another engagement a little further north.

I would think that with an open invitation like this, to fish with some of you fellas, on a week-end when everybody is off, in an area where the fish are sizable and biting, there better be a big parking lot and maybe a shuttle bus to run the troops from spot to spot! I bet your gonna get some bites on this one!

Yes this weekend was great. Thanks to Crappie Tom for being such a great host. I was a little out of my element but was able to soak up some new tips and ideas. My brain was like a sponge and I tried to take in all I could. Fishing is a true timeless art and we are fortunate to share our experiences and tips with others. No matter how much we know we can always learn more. I learned how to use those little Thill floats. About what fish are looking for in hair jigs. About color preferences for fish in different waters than I'm used to. And how fun it is to learn something new. We all get used to using our favorite baits and techniques but it's really rewarding to visit new waters and see something new.

Thanks again Tom. I've been thinking (big grin) that we will have to do it again for sure!

Corey Bechtold

Indeed, fishing is an adventure. It is supposed to be every time we get out. And what you saw this weekend was simply the epitome of needing to be ready to change and adapt to fit the situation....regardless of the specie being chased.