• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

#1 Walleye Spot

A pretty wide-open question, but what lake (river system) in Ontario would you rate as #1 for Walleye? Coming up this summer, and looking to book a trip for both numbers & size. I've done the numbers trips before, those lakes seem to burp up a few fish over 20", but not many. Best lake for 24" + numbers in your opinion?

I have fished summers up on the Englisha and Sturgeon River systems. contact me for specific places as we cannot post.

Great fishing for lots of different species. Numbers are there but average size is up over the years. Trophy waters region in Ontario

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 01-27-2004).]

Canada has about as many #1 Walleye spots as there are grains of sand on Miami Beach. If I were to pick one I would say that you couldn't go wrong on the Ear Falls side of Lac Suel in June. There would be a good average size 16 to 18 inch with lots of 24's and someone in the gourp will land a 28 to 30 incher.

Look into Haley's camps, they got lakes on the english river, by the sturgeon river. Lake Salveson, if you want to catch more eyes' than you have dreamed of, look into them.

------------------
1...2...bam got him

I will second Animal. Lac Seul is famous for numbers and big fish. We caught 10 or more 25" fish every day for a week straight last fall. Nothing over 28" for us, but the 32"'s are there. We stayed at Fisherman's Cove. Great place and great service. I will be back this year over the 4th of July

Thanks guys ... took your advice and am going to Lac Seul June 26 - July 3rd. Staying at Lac Seul Lodge. 1st time @ Lac Seul - heard nothing but raves about the size average. Do you think this is a good time of year? Have heard stories of massive mayfly hatches late June & July that can shut the fishing off ... true for LAc Seul? Doesn't matter ... I'm going! Tight lines to all!

SMEDS,

We fish Lac Seul every year around the time you will be there. We fish out of Lac Seul outposts and have an excellent time. In the six years I have been going, I have yet to experience a bad day of fishing. Slow up there is certainly not the same as around here. Good Luck to ya.

Thats great to hear. I will be going up to Lac Seul Outposts for my fist Lac Seul Trip June 28th. I'm taking my son for his 12th birthday. It's the middle of winter and we are so excited we talk about it almost daily. I hope it's as good as everyone says. Do you have any advice?

Fish Head,

You will have an excellent time. Unfortunately last year we were up there during the huge forest fire. We had to leave after only a day of fishing. There were several good things that came out of that trip. One is that the fire never reached their resort and we were also able to catch a 10 pound walleye and 20 pound pike in the one day of fishing. The only way we fish for walleye up there is jigging with a fat head. There is no other reason to try anything else. Are you bringing a boat? If so I would recommend hitting a few of the farther lakes and points ( Scaler and Merrit Point) being a few. For size Merrit Point has always been the best. For pure numbers there are several places around the camp you can go to, like the sand bar out front. I would also recommend spending some time casting for pike or Musky. Hope this helps a little. Good luck to you and your son. By the way we will be up again from June 18th-24th.

Stillnofish,

Thanks for the info. It sound like you guys and a GREAT experience! You'll have to post something on your trip this year to let us know how you did. I'll be arriving just a few days after you leave. Good Luck!!

Its funny that I keep reading conflicting reports on what to use. I have read some people use nothing but plastics. I have read some people say they used only crawlers. Maybe hungry aggressive fish will hit just about anything up there!

I just purchased a map of the area. I'll try to find Scaler and Merrit Points on the map. Are these points close to the Chamberlain Narrows? Any other spots worth noting?

We definitely plan to spend some time looking for large pike and Muskie. My son caught his first musky last year on Lake of the Woods.

Fish Head

Oh, I forgot to mention- Yes, we will be bringing our own boat.

[This message has been edited by Fish Head (edited 02-05-2004).]

Fish Head,

I have read the same thing with regards to the different baits to use. Lac Seul is an enormous lake and I know that different parts of the lake require a little different method of fishing. At Lac Seul outpost you will only be using jigs with minnows or leeches. The guides and Kenny (the owner) will tell you the same thing. Scaler is about fifteen minutes away from camp by boat. During low water it can be difficult to get to because of the narrow passage leading back to the lake. I will let you know about the depths when we get back. There is a small waterfall/rapids in the back end of the little lake. This is a great place to fish for both pike and Walleye. You will se other boats there as well, because it is popular place for first timers to go. Lots of action in this area. I do not own a map of the lake so i am uncertain as to how they label the points. Merrit is known by the guides and owners and they can lead you to this point ( 20 minute boat ride). The Canadian record for musky was caught off this spot. You will see the replica above the fish cleaning house. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info. I found Scaler lake on the map, however there aren't any names of points. I have also heard that [PoorWordUsage]er Point is good, but I don't know where that is either. I'll just have to ask them when I get there about the areas. I don't have a GPS unit yet, but I will be buying one this spring. I hear that you almost need one if you are going away from the area. Have fun. I'll be looking for your post the day before I leave!

Fish Head
Merit Point is north of Chamberlain about 10 miles. If you can find Birch Narrows to the northeast and Wapesi Lake to the northwest, Merit would be half way between them. It's a big sandy point where lots of housrboaters like to park there rigs. Other good places to fish are the three sisters rocks, the narrows in little chamberlain and the point just north of chamberlain where it turns back to the west.

Mr.BigEyes,
I will be up at Fisherman's cover with the family over the week of the 4th as well this summer. It will be my first time up there and I'm interested in how you fish them there. I know how my relation does it, but I'm always looking for new input. Drop me a line at [email protected] if you get the chance. ty

------------------
Cross their eyes!