• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with mink?

Sold some furs earlier in the year to Runigen in Albany. Thought I would be done trapping for the year. Yeah right. Until I saw a bunch of mink tracks in the snow where I trapped earlier this year. So I got anxious and trapped for a week or so again. Ended up getting to huge buck mink in some dry land conibear sets. I don't have any mink stretchers so I just froze them whole. Found out Runigen wasn't coming to Albany anymore to buy furs. For the little that you get for a mink these days. Didn't think it payed to drive 45 min. to Willmar for two mink. Will they keep in the freezer till next year? Or any other sugestions on what I could do?

Thanks for the info.

Legally you cant keep them till next year unless the law has changed they have to be sold within like 2 weeks of the end of trapping season.you used to be able to get extensions but i dont know for how long. i do know, not mentioning any names that you can skin them and freeze them in water and keep them over to the next season, i have seen some of these go through with the other furs. pro trapper proably is up to date on everything.

You can hold over furs when the season closes. The best thing to do is skin the animal. Leave as much fat and gristle on as possible. Then freeze in a air tight bag. You can wrap it in newspaper first, then bag it. Then flesh and stretch it next year.

I hold lots of furs over seasons, sometimes years. I get the itch to but most mink at this time of year the fur is singingand not worth much. Plus there breeding right now.