• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question?

Boar

Saturday I'm hunting a new stand location that I set up last wensday, a 50yrd wide funnel between to small rivers. Last rifel season I came across this funnel with a dozen rubs and scrapes running down the middle for a 100 yrd or so un till they had to cross the river. I finally relocatedto the funnel last week and there is again a active rub line running down the middle, If the wind is right I'm there, my question is should a guy rifle hunt his bow stands or wait untill after gun season. I do have many other options for gun season since the 80 acres is family owend. later Boar

I guess that sounds like a personal decision. I hunt Rifle and Bow in two completely different areas. I would not even hunt with a Rifle at my Bow location if I could, and I can. That is just the way I have decided to do it. It's become very personal between me and the Deer where I Bow Hunt. I feel like they know me and I know them. I would never take a gun into that area and drop them over 30-40 yds. Just our relationship.

Sounds like a great spot you have there. I think you'll get a Deer whatever way you decide to do it.

Place yourself in the highest % spot you have. A funnel or any type of "edge" cover is a good spot. Creek and river bottoms, pine thickets and strips, field edges, ridges, fencelines, etc. Any strip of heavy cover or "funnel" that has sparser cover around such as hardwoods or fields is usually a natural highway for the deer. As far as rub lines, deer will use the same areas year in and year out. Rubs are just a way of posting presense and dominance for deer. Most rubs and scrapes will be in a highly traveled area or an "edge" similar to the ones mentioned. Bucks marking thier territory use these well traveled edges for natural boundrys. Rarely do you see a scrape or a rub in the middle of a hardwood area or areas that have no special features or variances, there's no concentrated traffic. I've roamed our family's 80 acres since we first bought it some 35 years ago. If your like me, you know it like the back of your hand. Knowing the land adjacent to your property and the habits and entry points of other hunters useing them is also a big bonus. My stand is in a "funnel". Our property has a large hardwood hill with a lot of acorns that the deer feed on. On this hill is a small artesion spring. The tiny flow of water down the center of the hardwoods creates a swampy pine edged strip. Deer that have been spooked head straight to this strip of cover and either hide or travel along it, year in, year out. This area contains 70% of the major trails, and is used heavily for scrapes and rubs. Unless frightened, deer are very predictable. They have needs such as food,water,shelter, and escape routes. Mother nature makes them do certain things at certain times whether they want to or not. The "rut" is a time when bucks can "lose thier minds", hormones and the drive to mate makes them vulnerable to patterning. Whether I'm hunting deer with a bow or gun, I'll always be in areas that I think will have the most success, regardless. Your funnel area sounds great for both bow and gun. 80 acres isn't big enough to hold seperate or different groups of deer. All of your stands will see activity from the same deer living in a "larger" home range with your 80 included in this. Unless you've patterned a particular animal in this funnel and would like to harvest it with a bow, I'd say sit where the deer are going to be. Don't sell yourself short by hunting 2nd choice areas thinking you'll preserve this spot for later. Hunt for today, worry about the next hunt when that time arrives. Unless there's some sort of major changes, your funnel will always remain a good spot. PS: Sorry for being long winded. I'm killing time while waiting for morning.......Instead of killing time, I'll be killing ducks!! grin.gif (I hope!) 4:30am, close enough. Time to load gear and give the ducks a wake up call! Quack, Quack, Quack. smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck