• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer processing

Do it yourself!!!

It really isn't that hard. And it is alot cheaper!!!

After paying up to $100 a deer to have it butchered and all, we bought a grinder at Fleet Farm for $50 and a roll of freezer paper for $20. The freezer paper will last us for atleast 15 deer.

We also add 30% beef to all of our ground deer for burger (make sure it is the cheap fatty beef, as deer is very dry).

With breakfast type ground, we add 50% cheap pork trimmings.

You can get these beef and pork trimmings from any butcher and it is very reasonable. We bought pork shoulder roast for as cheap as $0.60 per pound!!!

Cutting a deer up is very easy. And if your not sure, buy a $10 video at Cabela's or Gander Mountain.

We have been butchering our own deer for four years now............And you know what!!! Our venison is cheap again.

If you want different sausages made, you can always take your ground up trim (with beef or pork) and have the butcher make you the type of sausage you want.

The following mixes are:
With beef:
Summer sausage, Deer Stix, jerky (restructured).

With pork:
Ring sausage or ring bologna, weiners, brats, polish sausage.

It is easy and I have come to enjoy it quite a bit. It keeps the atmosphere of hunting going when you and your buddys pick a night to cut up your deer.

We do it in the garage, and cover all of our tables with butcher paper for sanitation purposes. Keep it clean, it is your food!

If you have questions on it, ask and I will reply. My cousin has a butcher plant in Hampton and he taught me how to do it.

Again, very easy!!!

Gary

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

Absolutely do it your self, it's not as bad as you might think. This will be my 38th year deer hunting and we have always cut up our own deer. We have also made our own sausage and had it made for us, and to be really honest with you, if you can find a butcher to procees your sausage meat and guarantee you get your meat back it's about the same price as doing it yourself.

I've gotten a little slower in my old age but 10-20 years ago I could skin a deer, cut it up, clean it and have it wrapped in freezer paper in under 4 hours. One trick we have begun using when we wrap our meat is to wrap it in plastic wrap and squeeze all the air out before you wrap it in freezer paper, NO freezer burn that way.

Ole

Ole;
Like the idea of using plastic wrap prior to freezer paper!!!

I hear ya on time. My pop and me can go from skinning to tubs of trim in about 2 or 3 hours (depends on how many adult beverages we consume in the process).

Gary

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!